PDA

View Full Version : Epson 480 resetting ink counter

johnbergers
03-06-2003, 06:13 PM
Problem is: Printer showed: "Unknown Error. Please shut down the printer and contact your local retailer or sevice center" It means that the waste ink pads are full. So, I cleaned them and reinstalled them, but no show. Apparently the Ink Counter needs resetting, for which I need a program. I downloaded one, but no luck. Any advice?? OS is Xp and the port is LPT 1 ( this is 2nd attempt). Full name: Epson Stylus Clolor 480
Thanks , JOHN

|^^^BS^^^|
04-06-2003, 05:22 PM
get a new printer. that helps.
but if youre on a budget or something then you should try using a cotton bud thingy and clean the ink heads.
what are the symtoms of your problem? my espon printer had some crashes so they might be similar.

Graham L
04-06-2003, 05:30 PM
Try changing the cartridge. Where did you get this programme? I would be interested in having a look at it. However, it would be intended to allow you to refill your own cartridges. If the cartridge is empty, I suspect the EEPROM would promptly be set to "empty" again, and gibve the same problem.

Epson 480s seem to waste a lot of ink, so you don't get very long life from the tiny cartridges, even if you don't print much. They go through a long "head clean" each time they are turned on.

godfather
04-06-2003, 05:45 PM
The program commonly available to reset the counter does not work with XP.

Look at this link (http://www.4p8.com/eric.brasseur/epson480.html) which suggests another program is available (a link is given)

GrahamL, the counter is for the pads that soak up the ink after a head clean, not for the ink cartridges themselves. Replacing the pads is one thing but unless you can reset the counter the error is generated.

somebody
04-06-2003, 06:04 PM
I found this:

http://www.4p8.com/eric.brasseur/epson480.html

Could be useful. A person who had the same problem as you, and managed to fix it.

godfather
04-06-2003, 06:30 PM
Well, "somebody" you have just given the same link as I have above.....
At least he can't miss it now?

johnbergers
08-06-2003, 06:15 PM
thanks, but how do i fix the EEPROM ? JOHN

johnbergers
08-06-2003, 06:19 PM
Yes, tried it but no go !! May be it is the EEPROM ? Got it fixed professionally, $102, but the firm not willing to give or sell the program. Excuse is : only available to genuine Epson sevice agents !!! But thanks, JOHN