PDA

View Full Version : Recover a deleted file. Help quick!!

PoWa
02-06-2003, 08:57 PM
I think a few months back on a PC World cd there was a program that recovers files that had been deleted from the recycle bin. What month was it?? Whats it called?

I did have norton protection working on the drive, but the file must have been too big and nortons didn't protect it. ARGH!

Anyway, help!?

kiwibeat
02-06-2003, 09:49 PM
R studio will recover files as long as you havnt over written them after deletion I have it on cdr somewhere

Dylan
02-06-2003, 10:13 PM
they had finaldata basic 1.0 on the September 2002 cover cd

make sure you install on a seperate partition

PoWa
02-06-2003, 10:23 PM
Dammit. I installed FinalData and it says it doesn't not run on windows 2000/NT. I'm on XP.

Help!

Dylan
02-06-2003, 11:29 PM
try google search.

try running as few programs as possible and limit the size of the internet cache to avoid overwriting the program your trying to recover

PoWa
03-06-2003, 10:46 AM
Thats not really working. All it brings up is expensive software that I have to pay for. I would prefer something free. I tried a few demos but they won't work as they limit the filesize to 60kb. My file is like 600mb :-\

If I downloaded finaldata 2.0 which works on XP, can I use the key that was provided on the PC World cd?

PoWa
03-06-2003, 08:15 PM
Still not getting any help...this forum is starting to suck...

PoWa
03-06-2003, 08:23 PM
Kiwibeat could I have that R-Studio you have? Or where can I get it?

Lohsing
03-06-2003, 08:59 PM
Have you tried O&O Unerase?? Download it here (http://www.oosoft.de/en/download/index.shtml). I'm not sure about trial restrictions, but someone as resourceful as yourself should be able to get around it...

Who knows, maybe it'll let you recover that file anyway??

Best of luck. And don't say this forum sucks, because it doesn't. Remember you're the one who deleted the file... ;)

Lo.

Lohsing
03-06-2003, 09:02 PM
This (http://www.compulink.co.uk/~davedorn/computing/windows/restoredelfiles2.htm) page might be helpful... Might, although the tools suggested aren't freeware.

Lo.

linw
04-06-2003, 12:14 AM
Try this link. The first one is free.
http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2913878,00.html

PoWa
04-06-2003, 03:19 AM
Thanks Lo, I tried out that program you told me about and got it working. However it seemed to be taking a very, very long time to analyse the deleted files on my drive - no progress bar either. Must have been doing an extreme forensic search or something. Might save that to do at night. Thanks anyway :)

I tried linw's link and got PC Inspector File recovery. (free as well). It managed to recover the files well enough but unfortunately the files were corrupt. Stupid kazaa and computer freezes :\ Argh! I guess I'll have to download that 600mb again. *Note to self: back up my dat files every 100mb.*

Anyway, I have invested in a surge protector thing for the computer's power cords and that may stop the freezes? However I think I must be victim to the RIAA's newest p2p attack - the computer freeze. :\

Thanks anyway people.

stu140103
04-06-2003, 01:04 PM
try kazaa lite

Billy T
04-06-2003, 02:30 PM
I hope you were using a different computer to post your queries and search for solutions PoWa. With 600MB of recently cleared space you were bound to overwrite some of your deleted file, hence the corruption.

Correct procedure on finding you have deleted a wanted file is as follows:

1) Scream out loud for a minute or two to calm your nerves.

2) Check the recycle bin.

3) If it is not there, hit the off button (don't do a proper shutdown, just kill it.)

4) Get your mitts on a bootable CD/floppy with a professional Unerase program like Nortons. (Sorry, may require money).

5) Boot and recover erased file(s)

6) Repeat after me, I will never again click the OK button without first double-checking that the file I am about to delete is indeed the file I want to delete.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
[pre][b]The forum doesn't suck, you were just blowing because you
made a cockup and were looking for somebody to share the blame.
:D :D

PoWa
04-06-2003, 08:17 PM
Lets get a few things straight right now.

I have my windows partition on a C drive, and all my programs and data on another partition called D, which would hardly get written to unless I'm running aps etc.

I found on another forum, that if the power is turned off on your computer, the files you are downloading on kazaa will become corrupt and unuseable because windows decides to truncate them. Even if I did recover the file, windows has stuffed it anyway, hence it did not matter if I was writing to the drive or not.

I mentioned I tried to recover the file with norton unerase, but the filesize was too big and the unerase protected files cache wasn't big enough.

Can norton unerase be started from a cd to recover data? How?

>6) Repeat after me, I will never again click the OK button without first double-checking that the file I am about to delete is indeed the file I want to delete.

Well I didn't delete it on purpose, it was all the computer's fault for freezing :) I'm pretty careful about what I delete - jeez! :p

>The forum doesn't suck, you were just blowing because you made a cockup and were looking for somebody to share the blame.

I made that comment because no-one had provided an answer I needed for a good day and a half - much too long. I was getting a little desperate and needed an answer :p I didn't make a stuffup, windows deleted my file!! Besides I like this forum and it doesn't suck, it just took a while for the right person to come along with the answer :)

Billy T
04-06-2003, 10:25 PM
> Lets get a few things straight right now.
>
> I have my windows partition on a C drive, and all my
> programs and data on another partition called D,

Excellent. I do this myself, best protection against over-writing you can get.:D

> I found on another forum, that if the power is turned
> off on your computer, the files you are downloading
> on kazaa will become corrupt and unuseable because
> windows decides to truncate them. Even if I did
> recover the file, windows has stuffed it anyway,
> hence it did not matter if I was writing to the drive
> or not.

You lost me here, basically you seem to be saying that your file was deleted by Windows and you knew it would be stuffed. If so, why the panic for a file recovery system?

> I mentioned I tried to recover the file with norton
> unerase, but the filesize was too big and the unerase
> protected files cache wasn't big enough.

> Can norton unerase be started from a cd to recover
> data? How?

The answer to both of the above lies in your Norton manual, which you really do need to read thoroughly to get the best out of your investment. I recommend that you copy off the PDF manual from the CD and print out the index as there is much more in that version that the printed booklet. Using the printout of the index you can jump to the right section very quickly.

The Norton "protected file cache" only saves files you intentionally delete from the recycle bin. It does not catch files lost by software problems, download interrupt or computer crash incidents.

The instructions for unerasing using the CD are in the manual, but in essence the Norton CD is actually already set up as a boot CD and all you need to do to use it is to set your computer to boot from the CD instead of C: or A: then follow the bouncing ball, it is quite intuitive to use.

> >6) Repeat after me, I will never again click the OK
> button without first double-checking that the file I
> am about to delete is indeed the file I want to
> delete.
>
> It was a joke PoWa, just a touch of gentle humour in the middle of some serious advice. Loosen up a little my friend. Life is hard enough without taking small setbacks too much to heart.

> >The forum doesn't suck, you were just blowing
> because you made a cockup and were looking for
> somebody to share the blame.
>
> I made that comment because no-one had provided an
> answer I needed for a good day and a half - much too
> long. I was getting a little desperate and needed an
> answer .

I understand your impatience, but we are all volunteers and sometimes the right person is off doing some paying work. However, if you bump your message up to the top every once in a while your chances of an answer increase quite a bit. For example, when I don't have much time to spare I just check the top ten posts.

I hope you can either resurrect your file or download again. From the size of it I guess it was a program of some sort, or maybe a movie.

Good luck

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

PoWa
05-06-2003, 01:28 AM
Thanks Billy. :) All's good.

While searching for a fix to the problem (a day later), I was looking around a few other forums and thats how I found out that my download had been ruined.

I will try out that norton unerase thing sometime so thanks for the tip :)

kiwibeat
11-06-2003, 03:31 PM
Goback works well in backing up data but its HDD intensive what was the the file you were after I may have it ? welcome to contact me thru my profile

Dagda
12-09-2005, 10:32 AM
[edit: spam removed]

bartsdadhomer
12-09-2005, 11:23 AM
[edit: quoted spam removed]
Yes it is a good app, but after 2 yrs I'd say he's either recovered it or given up by now :badpc:

Dusty
13-09-2005, 03:23 PM
Go get you a copy of Restoration (Google for site) but read this first:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;136517

Good luck

kmzpub
17-09-2005, 10:50 AM
Hi,

Seems like **More SPAM!!!**

yaya1982
03-10-2005, 03:26 PM
I suggest you use **SPAM removed by Moderator: Chilling_Silence**

Chilling_Silence
03-10-2005, 04:00 PM
SPAM!

And with that, because you broke the rules on your first post comes a permanent ban

Ive removed your post, we dont need you littering the forum like that

You're welcome back under a new ID, provided you stick to the rules

Murray P
03-10-2005, 05:06 PM
Chill, you missed one, aim, make sure it's a head shot, steady, now nix em.

Chilling_Silence
03-10-2005, 06:25 PM
I was actually playing UnrealTournament last night, running round in a deathmatch with a sniper at 1.1x zoom getting tons of headshots. bliss!

Thanks Murray, I think I should lock this sucker. Too much unwanted attention