PDA

View Full Version : Networking

clearview
02-06-2003, 08:03 PM
I have an AMD 1000 with 256ram running windows me & a P4 2.4 with 768ram running xp pro. When networking, the xp machine can see the ME machine & transfer files back & forth. The ME machine comes up with the error message, C: is not available on the home machine. Not enough memory quit some programs. Home being the P4 system. There are only the normal programs that run windows, together with Zone Alarm & Norton Systemworks running. At the command prompt both computers can ping each other sucessfully. They are both in the same workgroup, Zone alarm is configured properly (it doesn't work with both Zone Alarms disabled either) Internet sharing is intermittant. Any ideas please ?

jackyht
02-06-2003, 09:03 PM
Hi Clearview

For your information, both Windows ME and Windows XP talk with 2 different set of language...

In order both computer can both communicate properly..

1. First of all, you need your orginal Windows XP setup disk
2. Put the disk on your Windows ME machine
3. The setup screen will come up on your Windows ME, then select the Additional setup.
4. And select Setup Home Networking
5. After you click that, Setup will copy some files to your Windows ME and will required to reset..
6. After reset, Follow the instruction and key in your preferred workgroup name and Workstation name...
7. And you can communicate both machine now

Jacky

clearview
02-06-2003, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the reply Jacky. I've done that & still get the not enough memory message. The ME system can see the XP system & all the folders set for sharing, but still can't open anything.

tommy
03-06-2003, 05:48 PM
That sometimes happens on my networked computers. Quite often I can fix it by mapping the network drives but only if the Windows XP computer was switched on first. Turning the other computer (not a Win ME by the way) on first usually causes it to "lose sight" of the Win XP computer.

Chilling_Silently
03-06-2003, 06:16 PM
What are your Swap File settings?

linw
04-06-2003, 01:01 AM
Try this link.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q177078

Norton AV can cause this problem, it seems.