PDA

View Full Version : Palm VX

alantelfer
02-06-2003, 05:43 PM
Can anyony help me my Palm x will not charge in its cradle. All the plugs are connected but the battery is nor recharging. I just bought the unit secondhand, the Hot-Sync operation is working correctly. The cradle does not appesr to have an indicator light on it (there is an opening to the right of the hot-sync button). The power pack is 110v so I bought a transformer. Does anyone know which pins the charging voltage should be on so I can check !!
Plaese HELP - getting desparate as battery is getting very low - Cheers

godfather
02-06-2003, 11:13 PM
The VX cradle has an opening to the right of the hotsync button which houses the second Stylus, and the charging light is built into the surround to the "opening"

I haven't got a meter handy, but placing your finger or thumb across all pins on the cradle will bring the indicator light on (rule of thumb?) as a quick test.

From memory the Vx requires two separate voltages, the adapter is a little complex.

If your Adapter is 110v only, its a bit different as mine is 100 - 230 volt auto sensing.
Also I would be very suspicious if its a 110v only, that it has briefly seen 230v in its prior life?

That would cause instant failure.

alantelfer
03-06-2003, 05:39 PM
Thank you for the info re hulr to the right of the hot-sync button and light location.

I tried your test of finger across contacts but it didn't do anything !!!

I believe the adapter is a US version and as the pins on the power pack are still straight it would appear that it hasn't been plugged into 230v. (they wont fit into our sockets without bending)

Again thank you for your suggestions and if you or anyone thinks of something else or knows the voltage pins to check please advise.

Cheers Alan

godfather
03-06-2003, 06:15 PM
Look at this link (http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/~thunter/cradlecable.html) for the pinouts on the cradle

alantelfer
03-06-2003, 06:54 PM
Thank you Godfather - with this information you may be a Godsend

I will let you know the outcome

Cheers

Graham L
04-06-2003, 04:07 PM
Doesn't it charge from the USB port from the HotSynch cradle? I like the old technology ... my old (and cheap) B&W screen one uses a couple of AAA alkalines ... for weeks.

godfather
04-06-2003, 04:33 PM
No, the Vx uses an external charger that connects to a special socket on the serial RS232 plug on the cradle lead. The power adaptor just uses extra cores in the cable up to the adapter.

There is a "travel adapter" that only charges the unit, no data plug.

There was an after market USB adapter I think, and that may have used the USB power. All very complicated as you say, my earlier Palm had 2x AAA as well which was good.

My PocketPC has internal lithium ion, but at least it only requires a standard 5v adapter to charge it.

alantelfer
15-06-2003, 02:32 PM
I found the problem!!! the power pack is faulty, found a guy at work with a Vx and tried his power pack with my cradle O.K no problem have since purchased another cradle with auto sensing power pack.
Thank you everyone for your assistance.