PDA

View Full Version : does ANYONE know what font 'PC WORLD' is in above?

sal
02-06-2003, 06:59 AM
i was just wondering if anyone (even the mods?) knew what exactly that font PC WORLD (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/images/logo_pcw.gif) is in above, also the PressF1 (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/images/Logo-lgtgreybg.gif) image near the top,

grtz sal.
tga

*ive already the emailed the webmaster (link in footer), with no response :(

agent
02-06-2003, 09:08 AM
Nope. I wouldn't mind betting I know why you want it though ;)

E.ric
02-06-2003, 09:12 AM
Would it be the PC name or the iMac name of the font or maybe some other name you are after?

-=JM=-
02-06-2003, 09:17 AM
I think it is probably Arial or another similar sans-serif font such as Helvetica. It looks as if it has just been suitably stretched to suit.

agent
02-06-2003, 09:37 AM
Well, here's (http://sal.neoburn.net/pf1images/pf1fonts.jpg) my attempt at recreating them.

Not exactly the same, but if it's any help, the fonts I used were 'Franklin Gothic Demi Cond' for the "PC WORLD" text and 'Century Gothic' for the "PressF1" text.

However, I do believe that they have scaled the image down horizontally, because I could not find a single font on my computer that matched them exactly. Unless of course they used a font that we all don't have...

Chilling_Silently
02-06-2003, 10:23 AM
Oh good lord, not PC World and fonts... ;-)

Oh I remember when I first came to IDG... hehehe

Anyways, Im going to have a guess that its something rather similar to Arial...

Maybe its even Myriad_MM or a decendant of it ;-)

fragged
02-06-2003, 10:31 AM
> *ive already the emailed the webmaster (link in footer), with no response

Email them again. They may be rather busy people and forgot to get back to you.

agent
02-06-2003, 10:37 AM
Myriad linotype font apparently costs ~$20...

And Google doesn't return any results for "myriad_mm"... if Google can't find it, does it even exist?

Greg S
02-06-2003, 12:11 PM
PCWorld looks like Arial Narrow that's been bolded and condensed - PressF1 looks like Arial Rounded MT Bold

E.ric
02-06-2003, 01:07 PM
what is going for the prize?

$100 cash, and I will put more effort into it,
A pencil case of used pencils, forget it, It can stay a mystery font for all I care.

Chilling_Silently
02-06-2003, 03:12 PM
Search google for 'Myriad mm' then without the quotation mark's and you'll see :-)

When I first went to IDG... We had an.. Interesting... time sorting out some fonts :p

sal
02-06-2003, 08:24 PM
ty agent, looks like youve pretty much nailed the smaller 'PressF1' font, it just needs to be bold(er?), with a light black glow, and the PC WORLD text can kinda be strecthed vertically, but im sure there is an actual font (pc i suppose), i guess ill have to make do, ty all,

grtz sal.
tga

PS - ill consult *who ever* again, once ive finished doing what im doing :)

agent
03-06-2003, 09:15 PM
Hope it looks good, sal, coz I've just about given up...

Though I might try my hand at the underlying code, trying to sort out some issues.