PDA

View Full Version : SOT , the dead beat brown goods repair people

E.ric
02-06-2003, 01:18 AM
To a Email group called the CIN list, I made a posting about a project from May 2003, Silicon Chip on a Sine/Square Function Generator.

Some no hoper said "I don't need that I can do it all with my computer"
have a look at http://electronics.alternatezone.com/dds.htm

if you can generate 1Hz to 10MHz in 1Hz steps Sine/Square only using a computer program then I will eat my hat.,

E.ric
02-06-2003, 01:27 AM
Oh sorry I forgot the biggest joke, the dreamer thinks he can get 10MHz from a computer sound card??

Billy T
02-06-2003, 01:38 PM
I'm with you E.ric.

I can't do the math, but to get a 10MHz square wave I think you need just a little more bandwidth and a flatter HF response than an audio card can provide.:p

However, dreams are free so allow your annoying correspondent to keep his illusions.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
[pre][b]Of course you could always ask politely for the program
and output delivery method he intends to use. ?:|

ikon
02-06-2003, 03:51 PM
Yes I am inclined to agree it is a pretty tall ask from a soundcard.

Terry Porritt
02-06-2003, 05:50 PM
There is a soundcard interface project in the August 2002 Si Chip, "You can have a virtual electronics lab in your PC. Just attach this simple interface to your sound card".

Typical soundcard frequency response is quoted as 20Hz to 20kHz.

That is just a wee, wee bit short of 10Mhz, just a tad. :)

Graham L
03-06-2003, 03:05 PM
Electronics Australia a few years ago had a series using some nice chips in computer controlled signal sources. But that was a bit more sophisticated than a sound card.

Of course square is easy to generate with TTL ... sine is a bit more difficult, though with modern filters it might not be too bad. A PIC based unit might get a bit more than 1 MHz. My favourite PC port for things like that is a bit slow : printer ports start to run out of steam at aboput 100 kHz., othewise a Disney Sound Source might be a good candidate. :D