PDA

View Full Version : ADSL vs IHUG Ultra Satellite

jackyht
01-06-2003, 11:35 PM
Hi guys

I am just wondering, wot is the difference between the normal ADSL and the IHUG Ultra Satellite plan... which is better in terms of price and so on...

http://www.getultra.co.nz/index.html

Thanks

godfather
01-06-2003, 11:46 PM
I think the first thing to realise that with Ultra, your phone line is still tied up for all internet use, just as in a normal dial-up scenario.

With ADSL you have the phone line free for normal phone traffic while on the internet, as ADSL is carried on a different frequency spectrum to that of voice.

roofus
02-06-2003, 10:42 AM
I think if your surfing webpages then ADSL would be better (no lag)
if your file downloading then Satellite will be better.

I had satellite a few years ago, i was able to download 10 4MB songs in about a minute or so. I remember napster recording a transfer speed of 1Mbps

Dunno if you would get that speed these days, but its definately quicker than adsl

Marshell
02-06-2003, 04:51 PM
I've read on a couple of gaming sites that Satellites are no good for Online gaming, due to the difference in upload and download speeds.

Not sure if this is a concern to you but thought I would pass it on.

Dylan
02-06-2003, 07:34 PM
Ihug Ultra uses a modem to upload information. ADSL uses a duplex upload-download system which is much more effective.

I'd suggest Jetstream Starter for home use.

nomad
02-06-2003, 07:42 PM
satilette solution is pricey. visit ihug's homepage. it is no way as affordable as jetstart. even vs jetstream its pricey i believe.

N.

Chris
02-06-2003, 08:40 PM
Been there, done that, paid $200 to get 7 gig in one month.......

I took the card out and got cable, if that wasn't available, i would have got jetstream.

.Chris

jackyht
02-06-2003, 09:09 PM
thanks guys...

tweak\'e
03-06-2003, 10:53 AM
last time i looked at the prices jetstream was dearer. you can't compare jetstart to ihug sat due to the HUGE difference in speed. if you want speed you will pay through the nose for it. ihug sat is basicly a 10Mb/s connection. for the speed its quite cheap. however the drawback of having a modem speed upload means jetstream is a better optoin for those who can get it.

Dylan
03-06-2003, 11:55 AM
*wishes one day transmitters weren't so expensive*

if only....