PDA

View Full Version : SmileCity - yet another scam?

falvrez
01-06-2003, 10:02 PM
Was checking something on howstuffworks.com and came across this ad...

"Alert to all New Zealanders - you should be earning free cash rewards every time you shop read email..." blah blah blah.
I clicked on the link (just curious - no interest in joining) and it look sus but *apparantly* someone has invested $2m in this new site.
http://join.smilecity.co.nz/

Anyone heard anything about it? I've not spotted anything in PCW or CWW...hope it's not yet another one of those pyramid sell internet hosting schemes

-=JM=-
01-06-2003, 10:10 PM
I signed up a while a go because someone wanted me to. My spam levels haven't increased yet. I can't have ticked the right boxes to get it.

If you want dodgy have a look at Money Spinner (http://www.moneyspinner.co.nz). Haven't had a second phone call from him yet.

roofus
02-06-2003, 10:50 AM
Nice work falvrez nothing better than an ignorant jump on someone whos trying to do something. In good ol NZ we like to call it tall poppy syndrome.

How about you goto smilecity and read what its about and what they are going to do.

Because according to your analysis flybuys and it's derrivatives are also a scam.

Think before you type.

Tobas
02-06-2003, 01:08 PM
In your case roofus, it should be "Read very carefully and try thinking deeply about what you have read ", before U type.

Terry Porritt
02-06-2003, 01:30 PM
The site doesnt tell you anything concrete, just that in some magic way you will get virtual currency or points that you can spend.

Without much much more details it has the smell of racketeering all over it.

Billy T
02-06-2003, 02:31 PM
There is a little more information in their terms and conditions. Seems that they are suggesting that they will send cash (in minimums of $30), though exactly what you have to do to earn it is unclear.

Money Spinner looks dead in the water with no updates since February and all links leading to the same page.

To pay, first they must earn, so nothing will happen until they establish their income source, if ever.

Don't hold your breath.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :|

Gordon.
02-06-2003, 03:53 PM
SmileCity is in a number of countries, below is a small portion copy/pasted from there Australian site. The way I read there blurb is that they target marketers to email users which could be a polite version of opt in advertising.

------------------

EmailCash is Australia's leading provider of online direct marketing, incentive and loyalty programs and services.

EmailCash was founded in June 1999 and is based in Sydney, Australia. The company attempts to match the requirements of marketers to the profiles of Internet users, through the technology of the Internet. EmailCash brings to marketers newer, richer interaction with consumers, and brings to consumers a way to get rewarded for taking various actions.

These cash-based online incentive programs are intended to provide comprehensive and flexible permission-marketing solutions for business marketers. By leveraging its member database and targeting capabilities, EmailCash is able to offer marketers customised, targeted advertising solutions designed to improve advertising response rates and reduce the costs of acquiring new customers.

wuppo
02-06-2003, 04:57 PM
What the heck? If they don't ask you to put money in - go for it. I harvested nearly $500 out of AllAdvantage.com a few years back (although the sites with millions to throw away seem to have all evaporated nowadays). :|

falvrez
02-06-2003, 08:37 PM
>Nice work falvrez nothing better than an ignorant jump on someone whos trying to do something. In good ol NZ we like to call it tall poppy syndrome. How about you goto smilecity and read what its about and what they are going to do. Because according to your analysis flybuys and it's derrivatives are also a scam. Think before you type.

well Roofus, as a matter of fact, I do think and look before I type, thanks for asking. I've seen far too many of these (if this is one, 'cause that's what I;m asking) scams come and go. Not much concrete info, nothing definite, "You can interact with real people" - how is that, exactly? If someone has indeed pumped $2m into this, you;d think they'd have some idea by now, or could at least hint to give people some sort of wanting to join.
The terms of service go on about payment of cheques but there's nothing there either to give any indication *whatsover* about what you could expect to earn in cash or "SmileCity Points".
"Soon to be launched" but no date given - another classic sign of something that won't pan out.
Roofus - ain't no tall poppies here mate, just been there done that had a gutsful of scams, types of people.
Would you not agree that anyone putting $2m into a new scheme would have more than one page (plus one for terms of service and one for privacy policy) on their website, even if "SmileCity is in a pre-launch stage"?
And excuse me but I am from "good ol NZ".
And excuse me once more but I was asking for advice from anyone else who had seen this, I did not call it a scam (i was asking).
Roofus: "How about you goto smilecity and read what its about and what they are going to do."
Well what do you think I did? read the ad on how stuffworks and then post a message? I went to thier webiste and read the 3 pages on the website. Should I need to do more if these people are serious?

roofus
03-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Gordon summed it up.

Terry Porritt
03-06-2003, 06:50 PM
Still just gobbedly-gook jargon as far as Im concerned, and I dont regard myself as all that ignorant by any means.

roofus
03-06-2003, 06:57 PM
I've done further investigation, and it looks like i'm wrong. Sorry.
FYI.
Registered Office
Suite 1.8, D72 Building
72 Dominion Road
Mt Eden
Auckland

Directors
CHENG, Bob