PDA

View Full Version : PSP interferes with icons

agent
01-06-2003, 01:06 AM
I recently installed Paint Shop Pro 8 Try & Buy, and set it to be the application to be used for all image files on it's list.

However, as the PSP8 icon is completely ugly, I thought I'd change the icons back to the default ones they were before.

Unfortunately, Jasc seem to have shoved a few nasty features in their software (I think perhaps we need to boycott them for these... read on).

Firstly, when I changed the icon for .jpg files back to it's default (located in C:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll - Windows Picture and Fax Viewer [I use XP Pro if it's relevant]), it appeared to work. That was until I changed the icon for .gif and .bmp files, and realised the PSP somehow locks the icons for all image files it's set to handle together - change one, and it changes them all. This posed problems for me, because I don't want JPGs looking like GIFs and BMPs looking like JPGs.....

So, I decided to remove PSP's handling of all file types (via the programs preferences menu). I then discovered that when you do this, it actually removes the filetype association from 'Folder Options - File Types' completely.

Now I'm left in a rather messy situation, and feeling very pissed off at Jasc Software, as this whole thing will most likely need me to reinstall Photoshop just to get it's file type back, to which I daftly let PSP take control of.

Basically, can anyone think of a way to stop all file type icons being "interlinked" with each other?

agent
01-06-2003, 01:09 AM
I would also like to know if there is a simple way to get Windows to restore the file types and associations for image files, and just set PSP to not take control of any file types - I don't intend on using it often, and only need it temporarily, so don't mind right clicking on an image and selecting "Open With....".

agent
01-06-2003, 01:13 AM
All right, I'm calling back my request for help already. By selecting Open With - Choose Program, which somehow managed to bypass the selection process and use Microsoft Photo Editor, which was top on the list (must've been a small screw up), it seems to have restored my lovely default icons, all separate too!

However, I still think perhaps something should be said to Jasc... what do you think?