PDA

View Full Version : Buying software from overseas sites

fergie
31-05-2003, 08:04 PM
Hi ya.
I was wondering, does anyone know of any sites (legal sites) that sell software for good prices?
My uncle has just returned from overseas, his trip included a brief visit to some asian countries (including taiwan, hong kong etc) where he picked up games for crazy prices - NZ$20 for Medal of honor AND spearhead etc. And they are original games - came in a DVD style case, all manuals, cds - all normal - even came with a slip inside to sign up for an eagames newsletter. He purchased the games from shops - and most had websites - but he can't remeber any. Does anyone no of any? Or how I can find some?
And if you do, have you purchased from them? What are they like?
cheers

Dylan
31-05-2003, 08:09 PM
I like to stay local and buy from gpstore.co.nz. free delivery in new zealand.

If you want to buy from asia i'd add another $5 - 15 freight charges unless you want to go back to HK.

I'd do a google search to find some, or if my mate signs on I'll ask him (hes from Hong Kong)

Big John
31-05-2003, 09:30 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble but they are not legal and certainly not original. They may look like it but they are made by professional pirate groups.
My mate went over to asia as part of his job and he said you could walk into the store and in the front is where all the legal stuff is at the right price but all you have to do is ask and they take to to the special part and the stuff looks exactly the same but is much cheaper.

Same with VCD's and DVD's in the shops over there.

Not saying that all of them do but if you can buy something for a steal then it must be taken as buyer beware.

fergie
31-05-2003, 09:44 PM
The games he gave me all look original - the manuals are identical to other ones i've seen (NZ brought).
Some of the other ones he purchased i think were copies tho (u can tell by the cd labelling etc) and he said there are heaps of 'dodgy' stores over there, but i was just curious, anyway, that link Dylan gave me has games pretty cheap (well cheaper than wot i'm currently paying for games) so thanks

bk T
01-06-2003, 12:24 PM
> Sorry to burst your bubble but they are not legal and
> certainly not original. They may look like it but
> they are made by professional pirate groups.
>

I do not agree. It looks original and legal, to me. Bear that in mind, most of the NZ retailers as well as 'wholesalers' have very high mark-ups. Computer stuffs, both hardware and software are very much more expensive than those in Asia.

I ever bought an item from Singapore which was made in NZ for only half of the selling price back home in NZ! It sounds ridiculous but it's true.

We just don't have the population to support small businesses and some how, the economy is monopolised by the 'big brothers'.
That's the way it is.

Big John
01-06-2003, 01:55 PM
> > Sorry to burst your bubble but they are not legal
> and
> > certainly not original. They may look like it but
> > they are made by professional pirate groups.
> >
>
> I do not agree. It looks original and legal, to me.
> Bear that in mind, most of the NZ retailers as well
> as 'wholesalers' have very high mark-ups. Computer
> stuffs, both hardware and software are very much
> more expensive than those in Asia.

Just remember the old motto. If it looks too good to be true then it probably isn't. These pirates over in Asia are good and the products look extremely legal but they usually aren't if you got them at NZ$20.

Again. The price is low in Asia because the high rate of piracy and why all the companies try and target asia in their fight against piracy.