PDA

View Full Version : 98 install prob.

tweak\'e
31-05-2003, 08:21 PM
i have a werid install prob. sorry i don't have much time to search MS for this so...

pc has win98 orginal OEM installed. doing a install over the top, had to rename win.com and winver.exe to get it to install. however when it gets to the insert key part the boxs are to big. the oem key (yes its an oem disk) is to small to fit in the boxes provided so winblows won't accept the key. any ideas ???

Terry Porritt
31-05-2003, 10:40 PM
Something strange can happen at any time, very odd.

Does the Product Key for the OEM disk have 5 sets of characters, each of 5 characters?

Terry Porritt
31-05-2003, 10:49 PM
Here's a bit more. This site seems to have the answer:
http://www.winbookcorp.com/_technote/WBTA12000546.htm

When I right click on My Computer and go Properties I can see the Registration ID, not the Product Key.
The site suggests starting in Safe Mode to get the original key. Maybe going into Registry and checking the original Product Key and Registration ID will give you the correct numbers to enter

Terry Porritt
31-05-2003, 11:14 PM
Its getting late and my brain isnt functioning clearly. It's possible that site above is mixing up Product (or registration)ID with Product Key.

With my Win98SE upgrade disk as well as a Product Key, I had a Registration ID which is the number that appears in Properties from right clicking My Computer. It has 4 sets of numbers, the first is 6 numbers long, the second is 3 numbers, the third is 7, and the fourth is 5 numbers.
Maybe that is the code that has to be entered when installing over the top?

tweak\'e
01-06-2003, 12:59 AM
thx terry..i clicked to what i had done wrong. "it was late and i was tired" i had copied the ID number down instead of the KEY.....DOH! thx goodness for UBD bootdisk i managed to extract the old key from the reg useing the boot disk.