PDA

View Full Version : Com freezes, after new HDD

Sulley
31-05-2003, 07:48 PM
Hi, I'm asking on behalf of my mate here...so i mite not be able to provide sufficient information.
I have just installed my new Maxtor 80Gb HDD as a primary slave. I'm currently using my old 15Gb hdd as a primary on my T-bird 1.2g. After formatting and running the program provided by maxtor for partitioning, I'm experincing problems booting up (Com freezes at the win 98 loading screen). I believe teh jumpers have been set correctly on the hdd's and set the maxtor as a primary slave.
I was wondering if anyone have a solution to my problem, any suggestions would be much appreciated.
thx in advance.

Merlin
31-05-2003, 11:33 PM
Recheck the HDD connections and jumper settings

Check - or recheck - the BIOS settings

Check - or recheck - the manufacturers instructions regarding using HDDs over 32 Gb in size and Windows 98

Pheonix
01-06-2003, 01:10 AM
From your wording, sounds like format, then partition. Hope it was partition first and format each partition second.

Captive
01-06-2003, 08:31 AM
now i cant recall the exact specifics but are you sure that 1] the BIOS on the MB supports this size and 2] the os can handle it?

To be honest the max i have tried with 98 is a lot less than 80

fragged
01-06-2003, 11:56 AM
In addition to these suggestions you may also find this site quite handy (http://fdisk.radified.com/).

Graham L
01-06-2003, 03:48 PM
Check the jumpers on the master disk. It might be set for "master, no slave"

Graham L
01-06-2003, 03:52 PM
Immediate addendum: I have an idea that Maxtor use CS by default, rather than master/slave selection. If you have set one drive for slave, it might confuse the logic. Anyway you'll discover this when you check the select pins on the master. :D (A CS cable often has the centre connector plugged into the MB).

kellanibelle
01-06-2003, 04:27 PM
i dont know if u can have your boot drive on primary slave.. try it on primary master or secondary master

Captive
01-06-2003, 06:00 PM
My newer box allows booting off primary slave. Perhaps though it depends what the BIOS of the MB allows.

hamstar
06-06-2003, 12:14 AM
Okay, i was helping a friend out and I stumbled upon a bundle of seagate 80gb hdd warranties/manuals that QMB left in my box-of-bit I bought.
The jumper pins are like this

7 5 3 1 >>power
8 6 4 2 >>power

with the jumper over 7 and 8 it's a Master or single drive
with no jumpers drive is slave
with 5 and 6 its cable select
now heres your problem...
1 and 2 is ALTERNATE CAPACITY. LIMITS DRIVE CAPACITY TO 32Gbytes

Hope that solves your problem

PoWa
06-06-2003, 04:40 AM
Why is your friend running windows 98 on a 1.2ghz pc with an 80gb hard drive?

*shudders*

Such a waste of raw power on windows 98.

Graham L
06-06-2003, 02:15 PM
Why, what should he waste his raw computer power on? With W98, there should be some CPU power available for programmes which do work. :D

kiwibeat
21-10-2003, 10:54 AM
I run 98SE on my PC a 1.3GHZ cpu with 60 and 80 gig HDDs it works very well and is very fast as with older programs as well as new ones .
my C: drive is 8 gigs in size with essential stuff imaged using Drive Image 2002 about 1 gig beats the bloated XP O/S I have on my upstairs PC similar specs that aways needs new patches and is still full of bugs .

Fire-and-Ice
21-10-2003, 12:01 PM
kiwibeat, why on earth have you dragged up this old post just to boast about what you run and how you run it? This thread died long ago so for all we know the problem is well and truly fixed. Even it is isn't your reply hasn't contributed any help whatsoever so is quite pointless.

Everyone here must by now pretty well know all about your love affair with Drive Image and how you think XP and Win ME are full of bugs and are way more bloated than your Win 98, etc etc etc. Who cares? People want assistance with their problems not an earful on what your current favourite habits are.

By all means tell people about Drive Image and good backup habits when they are asked about, but not at every irrelevant opportunity.