PDA

View Full Version : Any one who knows any thing about networking!!

JamesStewart
31-05-2003, 02:18 PM
Hi all. All I want to do is transfer about 1 GB of info to another computer (both running XP). I have the cross over cable. Can some one please just ring me and give me 5 minutes of help?

(09) 520 3668 (If your outside Auckland, ring collect).

Thanks

James

metla
31-05-2003, 02:30 PM
this site has a faq on the subject.

Cant vouch for whats in it as i havent read it myself but i would presume its right on the money.

JamesStewart
31-05-2003, 02:37 PM
No, I am having trouble setting it up and need some one to talk to how knows what to do in XP or wot eva.

Muzzer
31-05-2003, 02:41 PM
For additional info other than the FAQ hop over here (http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/contact.htm) and have a cruise around. Lots of info on diff types of networking with basics, walk throughs and advanced.

Cheers Murray P

JamesStewart
31-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Man, can some one just ring? It is SO much easier. I am only going to be use the network for .... for.... 2 minutes and should never have to again.

JamesStewart
31-05-2003, 03:03 PM
Yeah... ummm, sorry I have no idea who rang me :| but it didn't work. I set the IP's to 192.168.0.1 and 0.2 and the subnet thingy to 255.255.255.0 and they still dont talk!

IanJ
31-05-2003, 03:17 PM
Make sure that you have the same user and password registered on each computer.

JamesStewart
31-05-2003, 03:31 PM
wtf... user and password? wot r u on about

cyberchuck
31-05-2003, 03:36 PM
Make sure the account you are using on PC2 to access PC1 exists on PC1.. so go onto PC1 and then exactly replicate the account details as they are on PC2 on other words...
Have you got firewalls running?
Have you got the WindowsXP Firewall running?
Can your machines ping eachother via IP's?
Can your machines ping eachother via hostnames?
Can PC2 run a NET VIEW on PC1 to view shared folders (Start > Run > CMD [enter]. NET VIEW \\[PC1 NAME]

CyberChuck

JamesStewart
31-05-2003, 04:18 PM
See I have no idea wot is going on. Some one ring me and tell me!

roofus
01-06-2003, 12:15 PM
impatience!!! i'd tell ya how to do it, but sort it out yourself i say.

stu140103
01-06-2003, 12:49 PM
Why don’t you just explain what you have done so far e.g. connect the pc together, install the drives etc…
(have you been throw the FAQ on this?????)
& what the problem you are having e.g. you can not get the pc to talk to each other????? etc....

stu140103
01-06-2003, 12:54 PM
The other easy way if this is just a one off,
Is to put one of the hdd into the other computer, then you can transfer the files over.

Muzzer
01-06-2003, 01:33 PM
Hi James

Do you have a cdr(w) drive. If you do span the files over multple disks. Power Archiver, Winzip 8.1, or GSlpit will compress and span files over disks.

PowerArchiver (http://www.powerarchiver.com)

GSplit (http://www.gdgsoft.com/download/gsplit.asp)

WinZip (http://www.winzip.com.)

HTH Cheers Murray P

JamesStewart
01-06-2003, 01:33 PM
OK ok. Here we go. I click on "Set up Home network" and make both computer connect to the internet themselves (adsl connection), and are a part of the MSHOME workgroup. I then tired automatically getting the IP's address but then I set static ones (192.168.0.1 and 0.2). I then go to My Net Work Places and click on Workgroup computer and it shows nothing (taking about 5 minutes to show nothing aswell). I know they are talk with each other + I can play LAN games, so it isn't the hardware at all.

Lohsing
01-06-2003, 01:39 PM
Stupid question, but have you set up or allowed for file-sharing between the PC's? If not, then I would think you can't see what the other computer has on their hard drives.

I'm guessing this because you are saying you can play network games together...

stu140103
01-06-2003, 01:39 PM
On the first pc your need to set a static IP (because that is the gateway)
On the 2nd pc you need to set it so in gets the IP automatically.

See if that helps :)

JamesStewart
01-06-2003, 01:47 PM
Umm. Sorry, this is getting really inoying. I do not want to use the CDRW because it still means I dont have a network! I do have sharing on because if it was that, it would still show CRAIG (the other computer) in the workgroup!! Stu, i will try you idea but the shouldn't do anything it I set the IP's differantly the first time..

Pheonix
01-06-2003, 02:04 PM
You don't have any firewalls up do you? Also you will find STU's idea won't work unless you have a DHCP server. Try going on one computer and putting "\\192.168.0.x" x being the others ip addy in the explorer address bar (You should be able to use IE too). so if this helps youve got a problem with the NetBios name sys.

JamesStewart
01-06-2003, 02:06 PM
Ah yeah. Both computers are using Norton 2002.... But we have had it going before (untill I did a reformat).

tommy
01-06-2003, 02:36 PM
Win XP has a Network Setup Wizard (under Start / Programs / Accessories / Communications) that will do the job for you. Try giving that a run on the main computer then using either the CD or the floppy disc option for the second computer.

JamesStewart
01-06-2003, 02:46 PM
OMG! Sorry but you people dont read. I have done that (like 10 times!).

tommy
01-06-2003, 06:38 PM
> OMG! Sorry but you people dont read. I have done that (like 10 times!).

Done what? Sorry, but it is not all that clear exactly what steps you have taken to solve your problem. Setting up networking between Win XP computers is dead easy if you do things by the book. No one here are mind readers and without physically seeing your system it could be almost impossible to solve your problem. If you want to save yourself time and frustration pay someone who knows their stuff to have a look at it.

nomad
01-06-2003, 06:58 PM
make sure u have both PCsa registered with both logins.
if ya using 2k/XP goto control panel --> add both users.
if ya wif win9x when u see network login type a username and passord - press enter. the password can be left blank if ya like.

both PC should have something shared like a HDD. right click the HDD and choose sharing and click new share to define it.

tell us, what network protocols u have on each?? goto device manager is both network cards on each PC installed ok?? is MS networking, file/printer sharing installed, also tcp/ip and netbeui network protocols...

u should not need to define static IP address, it can be auto.......

nomad
01-06-2003, 07:00 PM
do u see network login screens on both PCs jus b4 it gets into windows??

login in each remembering these login names need to be registered in each system thus each PC has 2 member under control panel --> users. u mine as well give each member admin prividleges...

nomad
01-06-2003, 07:04 PM
at the extreme it could be that the two LAN cards do not like to talk to each other. i have found this to be a habit sometimes..

i have used more $$ cards from 3Com and intel...
u could call ur telephone support from ur PC retailer or call M$. they in auckland too so its free!!

nomad
01-06-2003, 07:12 PM
this is made easy for you, Questions:

under control panel --> users --> what user name u have??
u using dynamic or static ip address??
is ms network installed??
is netbeui installed??
is printer and shared files installed??
each Pc have a drive shared??
both PC belong to same workgroup??
each PC have a unique PC name??

both Pc login using different login names. then double click on network neighbourhood.... do u see each other?? do u see urself on each PC under network neiborhood??

by the way what are the brand of each LAN cards??
using crossover LAN cable??
under device manager any errors if so what is it??

pls reply answers then we can go further. bit confused at the moment.
N.

Patryn999
01-06-2003, 08:19 PM
*Sigh* DONT try DHCP it wont works unless you set it up (very tricky cause u need to make DHCP svr) so dont. I have a network running fine at the moment with 4 comps on static.

Anyway have you tried quitting firewalls on both machines before you try to access each others shares? Ill configured firewalls are one of the main probs at home cause we reinstall lots :D

Anyway turn both firewalls off, and try the "\\192.168.0.x" thing again.

Also the other computer wont come up if you don't have anything shared on it in the first place, so make sure you have somthing shared b4 trying this.

its a windows fault otherwise the games would not work :)

Cheers
Patryn

stu140103
01-06-2003, 08:40 PM
> *Sigh* DONT try DHCP it wont works unless you set it
> up (very tricky cause u need to make DHCP svr) so
> dont.

Not true, I am running 3+ computers on DHCP & it is fine

You just had a bad experience with it :)

stu140103
01-06-2003, 08:48 PM
Also James why don’t you do some screen shots of your network settings tab etc…
You can upload them here: http://sal.neoburn.net/pf1images/

Patryn999
01-06-2003, 09:15 PM
Ahh but stu dont you always have to have one comp on before the other?
At least i did and i found that rather annoying so i went back to static. I supose i could alter my gateway to do it but why bother? whats the need for DHCP in such a small Network?
Anyway its probably easier, and it will eliminate the case of the DHCP svr not working properly :D

But like me you probably like playing with stuff too? :D
Admittidly DHCP and Static have their points but i think i'll stick with Static, as i dont have a roaming PC or anything that might be attached to more than 1 network.
And yes i do like ":D"'s

OT: what proggy did you use for DHCP? - always willing to learn. :D

Cheers
Patryn

Chilling_Silently
01-06-2003, 09:18 PM
Okay, Ive just called him,
Seemed like a nice fella ;-)

I know what its like to be in a rush to get some data transferred, dont give him such a hard time guys.. surely you've all had a time like that...

Anyways, They're pinging each other.. I showed him howto make a new Admin account (Both PC's were auto-logging in), so both now use Identical Usernames/Passwords...

And we're gonna get back to business after dinner ;-)

DHCP is not needed right now, but its so damn easy.. Share a Dial-Up connection if there's a Modem (Even a fake one) and it sets up the PC's IP as 192.168.0.1 and gets DHCP going then too AFAIK..
Static IP's or not, wont make a rats difference if they are pinging each other.. Im going with it being a security issue. He said he'd disabled 'Simple File Sharing' so we'll see where things go from here :-)

Just thought I'd post an update ;-)

Cheers

Chill.

stu140103
01-06-2003, 09:23 PM
Sorry James for OT your post:

> Ahh but stu dont you always have to have one comp on
> before the other?

Nope, I can turn on mine (Win ME) & use it fine.
ok, you have to have the gateway computer on if you want to acces the net or acces the other PC.

> OT: what proggy did you use for DHCP?
?:| ?:|

Chilling_Silently
01-06-2003, 09:31 PM
Okay.. Had a stroke of genius here (Dont laugh, it is possible :p)

Goto www.radmin.com

Download Remote Administrator

Use that puppy to transfer your files, completely bypassing Windows File Sharing!

I'll talk to you on ICQ/MSN later about how to get it going, Its dead easy!

Cheers

Chill.

JamesStewart
01-06-2003, 10:28 PM
Chilling_Silently : Thanks alot man, but no luck. I plug the ethernet cable in and it say "No Connections" then I say connection to 192.168.0.X and it says it can't. This is getting REALLY inoying. XP has been soo good to me but now... this is not fair man. I am thinking of giving up (even though it will eat at me knowing that my computer isn't perfect ^_^), I do have a CDRW drive so.... it's just a pain spilting files and folders into 702mb pieces...

Patryn999
01-06-2003, 10:29 PM
Stroke of genius.:
He hasnt been playing with some of the services in xp? cause some of them can be a major problem if turned off (networking wise).

OT: Oh well, i was playing with DCHP when i was just learning. Maybe I had some H/W faults. Who knows but i'll remem this. Cheers. * stills sticking to his trust static. :)

JamesStewart
01-06-2003, 10:31 PM
I have no idea what DCHP is, so I never have touched it :|. One thought. is there a way (with out reinstalling or reformatting windows) to wipe permissions and network setting and start at the begining, that would be fine for me :)

nomad
01-06-2003, 11:08 PM
ok stick w/ static then.
i personally would not wipe the hdd until i have tried other lan cards like more brandy ones.

i have a generic 10BT card. since i bought i had to call M$ on technical support on a toll call (we outside Auckland) and got it to work. that was 1998. now we have jus dumped it and got a 3com one. all's fine.

make sure u have something shared on each, loggin in ok, network card install ok, same workgroup defined, unique comp names defined, tcp/ip and netbeui installed as well as, MS networking, and printer/file installed under control panel --> networking.

reboot each PC. they should be able to see themselves. should be able to see each other. crossover cable?? reboot a few more times.. according to Chill seems u should have the usernames sorted......

u should see urself on each PC. if you cannot see each other and seems all set up ok could be a naughty card. i personally have come across this issue.

nomad
01-06-2003, 11:14 PM
this may be a dumb Q. but it is a crossover cable right??

or u using a straight cable via a HUB??

Chilling_Silently
02-06-2003, 10:18 AM
Nomad>

Yes, I asked him to create two Admin accounts, same case and everything for username/pwd and then to try the default share of:
\\PCname\C$\
and see what happened, only nothing did.

So James, If they cant Ping, you're back to square one... They MUST ping first!

If you wanna give me a ring later, feel free :-)

Otherwise, post back

Cheers

Chill.

Chilling_Silently
02-06-2003, 10:20 AM
> I have no idea what DCHP is, so I never have touched
> it :|. One thought. is there a way (with out
> reinstalling or reformatting windows) to wipe
> permissions and network setting and start at the
> begining, that would be fine for me :)

Chilling_Silently
02-06-2003, 10:23 AM
> I have no idea what DCHP is, so I never have touched
> it :|. One thought. is there a way (with out
> reinstalling or reformatting windows) to wipe
> permissions and network setting and start at the
> begining, that would be fine for me :)

Thought I might see about putting some light on the topic then:

DHCP = Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol

Its used mainly to assign Dynamic IP's to avoid conflicts on larger LAN's, but other settings can be given through DHCP also.

For most home uses, its not a 'need' on the list, as a Static IP will suffice :-)

Hope this helps