PDA

View Full Version : New HD-no OS

nalla
31-05-2003, 01:00 PM
Hi
What is the general rule in regards to this situation.
Bought a PC with ME installed from PC Company 2 years ago.
I upgraded to XP but have now installed new HD (installed by 3rd party) after crash.
I only have upgrade XP disc and no ME disc as ME was OEM.
Do I have to buy a complete XP?

Dylan
31-05-2003, 01:17 PM
theres a huge list of instructions here
http://www.bootstrike.com/WinXP/dosinstalling.html

basically you need to get into the i386 folder. use a boot disk to get into the ms-dos prompt. type X: where X is your cd rom drive with windows XP in it. then type cd i386 at the root of the CD. you can then run winnt.exe to install windows XP.

to speed up the installation you'll need a program called smartdrv.exe. before you install you'll need a copy of this on a floppy. when the computer boots up use a boot disk to get to a dos prompt. take out the boot disk and put in the disk with smartdrv.exe on it. run smartdrv.exe off the disk.

although you dont need to use smartdrv.exe it is highly recommended.

Steve Askew
31-05-2003, 01:18 PM
If you can get your hands on a win95/98 /me disc you can do a clean install of XP upgrade without having to install older O/S.

Just boot off the the XP disc & a little way into setup XP will ask you to put an earlier version O/S cd in for previous version verification & after that you are on your way.
You should be able to setup partitions & choose fat32 or NTFS from XP setup.

Cheers Steve

PS:Xp upgrade won't recognise recovery cd's from HP , Compaq,etc.

godfather
31-05-2003, 02:37 PM
At the worst you will need to use the "restore" CD to install Win ME, then the Upgrade XP CD to do a clean install from the options shown.