PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a Network

rev2000
31-05-2003, 09:05 AM
We are building 2 offices at the moment and we where advised that it we should run cat5e cable so that at a latter stage if we want to we can network computers. The advise was run cables to where ever we thought we might need it - cable is cheap they say. So we have ended up with 7 cables coming back to one place - Dick smith only have face plates with 4 slots which would mean we would have to have 2 face plates on the wall. As we also have the phone line along side we are starting to think the wall will be full of face plates. Is there any other way we can handle the main central area for the cabling as it comes back toi the hub?

Thanks for your help

Martin

Graham L
31-05-2003, 03:31 PM
Make the point where all these cables come together the inside of a cupboard. :D It should be big enough to hold the "central" equipment. If it's just a router and a modem, that space isn't very big. If it's going to be a server, a bit bigger.

Muzzer
31-05-2003, 03:51 PM
Just to clarify, if I may, what Graham is saying is you can bring the cables out the wall in a bundle with RJ45 plugs on ther ends of each one, ie, no face plate/outlet. They can then be plugged directly into your switch (similar to a hub but more efficient). If your going to use a server of some sort you'll need enough room for this as well. The stationary/store room or copy room are handy spots. Not the kitchen or cleaners cupboard unless you can provide a sepearte cupboard away from spills.

Cheers Murray P

Graham L
31-05-2003, 04:13 PM
Well, in many ways it is better to terminate the fixed wires with RJ45 jacks, then use jumper cables to the switch, etc. The fixed wires use solid conductors, so they should be terminated with the proper Krone 110 terminals. There are two types of RJ45 plugs (for solid and stranded conductors) and using wrong sort will cause reliability problems.

But I think the objection was aesthetic -- a "wall full of face plates" -- so I suggest a cupboard etc to keep them out of sight. The other reasin is that the switch (and server) should be locked away from finger pokers.

Merlin
31-05-2003, 07:35 PM
Physical security is an issue.

What's with the crappy methods of termination - unprofessional and amateurish.

Patch panels (http://www.datacable.co.nz/AMP/onlineSSG/c_conn_hardware_patch_panel_110_discrete.html) look better, are easier to label and maintain.

rev2000
31-05-2003, 10:42 PM
Thankyou you have clarified some things for me it looks as if I will make a small cubboard in which I will mount a rack like suggested by merlin and at the bottom of the cubboard which will be similar in design to a basthroom in the wall type I will make it so the patch cbles can run outto the hub which will sit on the computer desk.

Thanks again for your help.

Martin