PDA

View Full Version : defragging

alhayton
30-05-2003, 09:54 PM
Hi, I need help. I have the nortons 2000 system works and when I am defragging I only get as far as sorting and 46% then it goes no further. This has only just started in the last month. I have tried turning off all unnessary startups in msconfig and else were tried to defrag in safe mode but it still wont defrag passed sortting. can anybody help
alhayton

Babe Ruth
30-05-2003, 10:01 PM
Shirley,

Please post the specs of your computer, operating system type and version and anything else that may give us all a hint on how to point some light on the problem.

Cheers, Babe.

alhayton
30-05-2003, 10:06 PM
Hi Babe
Win 98 SE, 256 Ram , 20 gig hard drive, Nvidea graphic with 32 onboard.
1600 mghtz, the usual onboard sound card etc . will this help about 18 months old.
Shirley

Terry Porritt
30-05-2003, 10:06 PM
As you have System Works, do you run Disk Doctor, WinDoctor, and One Button Checkup before you run Speed Disk? If not, those utils may straighten things out.

kiwibeat
30-05-2003, 10:08 PM
Most likely a registry problem i normally use Fix-It or norton utils to clear out any errors though there are always risks when you do so

alhayton
30-05-2003, 10:10 PM
Yes I run all of those . Could there be a block with some directory somewhere. and should I start by deleting some of the last programes ect. Shirley

alhayton
30-05-2003, 10:13 PM
Yes I wondered about the registry tooand have cleared out to my ability but it does not seem to have made any impression. anymore help on this one.
Shirley

alhayton
30-05-2003, 10:15 PM
Hi Kiwibeat could you explain what is Fixit and if a program where do I get it.
Shirley

Babe Ruth
30-05-2003, 10:29 PM
Shirley,

Also have you cleared the Temporary Internet Folder and your TEMP directory... I think there are some hints on the FAQ pages (see top right of PressF1). That may help also...

Cheers, Babe.

Terry Porritt
30-05-2003, 10:38 PM
Following on from Babe Ruth, I suppose your hard drive has plenty of spare space?

Another thing that comes to mind is I believe SystemWorks 2000 also includes CrashGuard?
This is no longer supplied (afaik) because it was prone to causing problems. If you have it installed, try uninstalling it.

tweak\'e
30-05-2003, 10:44 PM
system works has most of the tools you will need.

firstly make sure it is updated. then run diskdoctor with the surface test on. this will take a while to do. if you havn't done so already run noton optomistion wizard, word of warning its prone to "non-responding".
you can also run windoctor and fix any problems you have. then try running speed disk. if it still does the same problem you may need to rename the applog folder eg to applogbak. windows will remake it on startup.