PDA

View Full Version : Age of Mythology in XP Pro

krafty
30-05-2003, 08:31 PM
Running XP Pro,Myself as admin, kids as limited accounts.
Loaded AOM on through my a/c. icons appear in kids a/cs but message to say they need admin privs to run it.
Followed Babe Ruth/Badly Stumped thread (in this forum)and tried her fix, changed kids to a hidden option of power user. (This appears in User Accounts as an 'unknown type' of user.)
Problem still there, kids unable to use game unless I give them Admin Privs.
Surely there's a sensible way around this, I paid the extra for Pro to get the security it promised, I don't see that working when I have to give an 11 YO full access to the PC.
This is the latest MS game on supposedly their best OS, surely they have some interest in getting it to work.
I can imagine the situation in a business if the sysadmin has to give everyone full rights in order to run simple programs, chaos.
No wonder Linux is gaining ground!
Have tried MS support, apart from wanting $35 for help (whose $? I wonder) they haven't got back to me yet.

tommy
30-05-2003, 09:03 PM
Have you tried seeing if there are any game updates or patches available?

krafty
31-05-2003, 12:18 AM
Yes, tried the MS update site for AOM but came back blank.

metla
31-05-2003, 02:06 AM
theres been about 3 patches for aom,u need to log into the gamesservers to get em.

So go thru the motions of starting a multiplayer game and it should update it.

the reason i believe(or im lead to believe)that games need admin rights is because they need to be able to adjust the resolution,i doubt theres a patch out there for any game that will override xp's security protocol.

argus
31-05-2003, 05:44 AM
Thought this was a reference to the Microsoft publicity machine :-)

Argus

krafty
31-05-2003, 11:24 AM
Ok I'll give that a go when I get time. Certainly got nowhere from the update AOM link on the setup page using the CD

krafty
31-05-2003, 11:30 AM
Not really, I'm probably Pro MS in general as at least there are some standards enforced. I started PCs in the late 80s and everything was a mess then, but at least it was simpler, I could understand it and work around things, whole field is so complicated now.
My gripe is now really that MS themselves are an example of the right and left hands not knowing what each other are doing any more...and almost impossible to contact them directly with a problem, how do they even know it exists uunless they have people monitoring all the forums.
I did try their game forum by the way, not a mention of the problem.
Krafty

tommy
31-05-2003, 11:44 AM
If there are no patches or updates then you could be out of luck, unfortunately. I had the same problem with another (non Microsoft) game but downloading and installing the game's update fixed it.