PDA

View Full Version : WFTWE #52....Spatilomancy......When insight or intuition fails you.....

Billy T
30-05-2003, 06:59 PM
Spatilomancy

Fortune telling by observing animal droppings

Beginners guide:

Small & round - you will soon be checking carrots for tooth marks

Flat & wet - milking time coming

Small hillock - horse riding may follow

Medium mountain - you will soon see a large grey animal with tusks

Sticky stuff in pot plant - Cat will soon go missing

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :|

[pre][b]Bit of a struggle this week to find something topical.
Couldn't find any Everest words, Blues are S12 Champs
now (gloat) & it was a slow week in politics; so it's
prediction time for the All Black results. Spatilomancy
has to be as accurate as anything else.:D

Muzzer
30-05-2003, 07:41 PM
Hmm. can relate to the cat doo in the pot plant and in the sawdust where I cut and stack my firewood, as in...sniff sniff....sssnifffff??? what the...?? AAaaaahhh you dirty little *@##&$$** big clump of sawdust on bottom of slipper, held in place by a very persistent adhesive.

Who's doo do we study in our All Black spatilomancy? Mitchell's, Woodward's who's the ref? And the biggy, who's going to volunteer for this wee jobby? Billy I think your just the man for this considering your recent history of doo stirring :D

Cheers Murray P

PS. Well done the Blue's and congrats to the old and new AB's.

Muzzer
30-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Hmm. can relate to the cat doo in the pot plant and in the sawdust where I cut and stack my firewood, as in...sniff sniff....sssnifffff??? what the...?? AAaaaahhh you dirty little *@##&$$** big clump of sawdust on bottom of slipper, held in place by a very persistent adhesive.

Who's doo do we study in our All Black spatilomancy? Mitchell's, Woodward's who's the ref? And the biggy, who's going to volunteer for this wee jobby? Billy I think your just the man for this considering your recent history of doo stirring :D

Cheers Murray P

PS. Well done the Blue's and congrats to the old and new AB's.

Muzzer
30-05-2003, 07:53 PM
2 for 1 deal! :8} ssssoooommmmmethinnnng is slllooooowwwwing doooowwwnnn my cooonnnectioooon toooo aaaa crrrraaawwwlllllll

Terry Porritt
30-05-2003, 08:27 PM
Interesting........-mancy, indicating divination of a particular kind, so I suppose economancy would be forecasting monetary profits.

I always thought it unfair that whilst dog owners (or some of us) are required to pick up their dog poohs, horse riders go merrily along leaving huge piles behind them with never a thought about cleaning them up.

At least in the good old "olden days" (those words again), when I was a boy, and all deliveries were by horse and cart, they used to have a bucket and shovel hanging on the back of carts. If the driver didnt clear up after him, then people rushed out to shovel the stuff up first to put on the garden.

Billy T
30-05-2003, 10:27 PM
Ah, but now you know Terry, that if you gaze meaningfully into the doo-doos whilst modulating your breathing and murmuring a mantra, you will get divine (or is that canine) inspiration.

Just don't forget to suspend your respiration while doing so, especially if you are using elephants.:D

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :)

Joe_Bloggs
01-06-2003, 10:58 AM
So you DO have a sense of humour Billy T, after the bolloxing you gave the two guys last time you posted the WFTWE.

After your outburst, I think you have a dam nerve.

My tuppence worth

Chris
01-06-2003, 11:35 AM
My dog, having been trained in the country, leaves her "doo-doos" on grass and vegetation in preferrance to road and footpath. She has one exception, and i have no idea why;

Big piles of "doo-doos" outside used car sales yards are fine.

Please tell me what this says about the planets future.

.Chris

Thomas
01-06-2003, 11:48 AM
>After your outburst, I think you have a dam nerve.
Quite right JB.

How would you get a canine inspiration from a horse do do?

Joe_Bloggs
01-06-2003, 12:36 PM
> My dog, having been trained in the country, leaves
> her "doo-doos" on grass and vegetation in preferrance
> to road and footpath. She has one exception, and i
> have no idea why;
>
> Big piles of "doo-doos" outside used car sales
> yards are fine.
>
> Please tell me what this says about the planets
> future.
>
> .Chris

Don't you carry a plastic bag .Chris? In some cities you can get a hefty fine. Do you realise that kids play on the grass, so I hope you aren't leaving disgusting dog poop there so the kids can come in contact with it.

Billy T
01-06-2003, 12:46 PM
Ah Joe, your post style is eerily familiar.:)

Could it be that behind that bland pseudonym you are somebody else ?:|

Please note that my "humour" is not at the expense of others, nor do I use abusive, sarcastic, mean, or belittling language. I do not make hurtful comments to posters who are quite obviously distressed or upset, nor do I demean others who may have less computer experience or less ability to express themselves in the English language than I do.

I do not correct spelling, or attack others' grammatical or punctuation weaknesses. I am not a smart ar*e, smart aleck, or cheap-shot artist. I do like a turn of phrase, creative use or interpretation of ordinary language, and the odd play on words, and yes, I do post OT comments, along with WFTWE of course (which will stop anytime I see indications it is no longer enjoyed). I must admit to a creative but sometimes warped and possibly irreverent view of the world and all the creatures within it, and that sometimes intrudes into my posts, for better or for worse, others will judge.

Having said all that, I do not hold myself out as an expert on computing either, I do have a few limited areas of expertise, but as a self-taught struggler I can readily empathise with those who may be a few steps behind me on the path, while at the same time respecting those who demonstrate superior knowledge that I might aspire to, but freely accept I will never attain.

Lastly, I really don't need damn nerve to post on PF1, my history of trying to help people on this Forum will stand or fall in the eyes of my peers, and when I feel I can't help I'll be gone. The bolloxing that you mention was initiated by a particularly unpleasant series of posts directed at one individual, without thought as to how that person might feel after reading those responses. I freely admit that I made a mistake in linking two posters in that comment and have apologised privately to the injured party. I will not name either here, but you can readily work out who was who by the tenor of their responses to my post. I intended to make a public apology but as a true gentleman he said that was not necessary. As for the other party, my comments stand and his posting statistics and content are there for anyone to review if they think I was being harsh.

You see Joe, this is a very lightly moderated Forum. IDG staff rarely intervene in any thread and have not often needed to do so as we are largely self-moderating. It is not the responsibility of any one individual to maintain decent standards of behaviour on PF1, it is the responsibility of us all. We are a community and communities must set their own standards, they cannot be imposed. Members must want to comply.

Along with many others, I accept that responsibility as one of the obligations that comes with the privilege of access to the wealth of knowledge the PF1 community can offer. But, like any community, we are only as good as the standards we set for ourselves.

I and others will continue to promote standards of courtesy, tolerance and goodwill, along with the best advice we can offer..

Please feel free to join us.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :|

Chris
01-06-2003, 01:53 PM
WFTWE is a wonderful random humourous example of brain food.

It catches me on some unexpected angle and in a positive way inspires an "ay what???" reaction.

Keep it up Billy!!!

.Chris

Muzzer
01-06-2003, 02:01 PM
> yes, I do post OT comments, along with WFTWE of
> course (which will stop anytime I see indications it
> is no longer enjoyed). I must admit to a creative
> but sometimes warped and possibly irreverent view of
> the world and all the creatures within it, and that
> sometimes intrudes into my posts,

And that is precisely why I enjoy many of your posts and especially WFTWE Billy. Not all I might add and many of your views (for what can be gleaned of them) I don't particularly adhere to but, hey variety is the spice and all that.

One aspect of the OT's is that it brings out the personalities of the participants a little more than the purely tech posts (most times :| ) some for better and some for worse. It just goes to show we aren't all the same and diff things pull our chains and you can thank whoever you like for that small blessing.

Cheers Murray P

Thomas
01-06-2003, 02:17 PM
The Spanish inquisition was all about those who knew what we should believe and think,even if wrapped in flowery words,it would seem that it is ever thus.

Muzzer
01-06-2003, 05:19 PM
I thought The Inquisition was pretty direct and transparent in its objectives as with Mc Carthyism, Stalinism, et all. Propaganda was/is for export or the very lowest rung of participants. Now take some of the big corporates today for a good eg of spin [marketing]. Who was it who coined the phrase "good corporate citizen"? An oxymoron in more ways than one if ever there was one.

See what I mean ;)

Cheers Murray P

sal
01-06-2003, 09:11 PM
a year on (WFTWE #52 ?) and i finally decide to see what the regular weekend occasion is all about...and i find people debating (or defending) the subject of OT posts again :/

back on thread topic, ill definitely be at least reading the WFTWE threads :D, nice and original (?) humour, props to Billy T

grtz sal.
tga

-=JM=-
01-06-2003, 10:06 PM
So if this is the 52nd WFTWE. If you started them when the new format went live does that mean that the "new PressF1" is one year old as well?

Billy T
01-06-2003, 10:42 PM
Hi JM

The new forum went live in June 2002 (hence my June registration immediately we came out of the Candy beta) and I have definitely done 52 WFTWE posts. I did a search and countback :O I wish I had thought to number them from the start, but I didn't figure on running so long! :D

There were a few WFTDay posts before I went weekly, so I guess I started in the old forum a few weeks before the new forum went live, either that or I posted the first few in Candy.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :8}

-=JM=-
01-06-2003, 11:18 PM
Well if when you did a search and found 52 WFTWE threads. They must all be since it has gone live as I think all the posts got wiped out from the Candy days.

Must be a year old now then I think. No doubt either IDG or Susan or someone will know the exact date.

Thomas
02-06-2003, 06:15 AM
>>Please tell me what this says about the planets future.

If I could see the connection I would!;)

Billy T
02-06-2003, 12:08 PM
No, I didn't find 52 JM, I think I found 40-odd and started from there with the first numbered version being #41. The earliest true WFTWE may have been June 28 2002, and you are definitely right in one respect, the Candy posts were all wiped so any earlier ones my search found must have been from the old F1 archive. I counted original posts of individual words, i.e. my initial post only.

One day when I have a spare week to waste :^O I'll do another countback just to satisfy my own curiosity.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
[pre][b]OT trivia to while away a holiday morning :D

Susan B
02-06-2003, 03:48 PM
Just for you, Billy. ;-) :x

> The earliest true WFTWE may have been June 28 2002

That would depend on how pedantic you are. We had "Word for the Day" in Candy which became Word for the Weekend once the new forum went live. I saved three of the WFTD/NWFTD (Word for the Day and New Word for the Day) threads from Candy and the earliest one I have was posted on June 14: "Pulchritudinous". There were bound to have been more though.

> No doubt either IDG or Susan or someone will know the exact date.

It's touching the amount of faith you have in me, JM. Couldn't possibly let you down, could I? :-)

Candy went live on 21 June 2002. Check that with Mike and he will be able to confirm it, being a date he is likely to never forget. ;-)

Billy T
02-06-2003, 05:01 PM
Thank you Sis :x

I just knew you would come through for me. With that information I reckon my count is bang on.:D

I did a couple of WFTDs, and as you remind me, WFTWE was born when the Forum went live.

Pulchritudinous on 21 June 2002 was followed by rebarbative on 28 June, and exactly 50 weeks later we got to last Friday. That plus two WFTDs equals #52.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :)

[pre][b]We never did see the Candy T-Shirts did we.?:| :(
Guess its no use complaining, the fun was free.:D :D

argus
06-06-2003, 10:33 AM
One of a galaxy of divination words: we have touched on a couple in previous WFTWEs. We had cepahlanomancy "divination by boiling the head of an ass", and we also raised "omphaloskepsis" - contemplation of one's own (or I suppose, anyone else's) navel.
If you're really stuck for inspiration, omphaloskepsis may become omphalomancy - divination from the shape of a navel, or, specifically, according to dictionary.com "Divination by means of a child's navel, to learn how many children the mother may have."

But I am stuck on a whole genus of words where the term for the activity is not recorded, only the person who does it.
Someone who divines from the flight of birds is called an auspex (hence "auspicious" - fortunate) but what is the activity itself called? Auspacy? auspecy? Dictionary.com draws a blank on both words, and I don't have a physical dictionary to hand. Can anyone help?

"Auspice", possibly - though that may be a condiment used in an antipodean curry :-)
"Haruspice" (?) divination from the shape of the internal organs of a slaughtered animal; the classic "examining the entrails" thing. A haruspex is a person wot does it, anyway.

Or, very generally "sortilege" - divination done by "drawing lots" - by operating any random selection process: dice, the I Ching, the "lucky eight-ball" etc.

Whence that curious Biblical pair the Urim and Thummim. No-one seems to know what these were (spinning tops or black and white stones have been suggested), but they were apparently used to indicate the will of God.

And, and absolute trivium to finish on: the Hebrew phrase "Urim ve Thummim" (Urim and Thummim) is wriiten across the books pictured on the coat of arms of Yale University.

Kinda gives you confidence in their research, doesn't it?

Argus