PDA

View Full Version : 802.11b Home network help

Hershyll
30-05-2003, 07:12 PM
I want to set up a home network so that I can roam around my house on my laptop while being able to access my ihug ultra account, files etc which are on my pc. I was thinking about a wireless network and I need to know what I need, I was thinking I needed a access point, network card for the pc, and a 802.11b card for the laptop. Is this right, I was wondering if you could help me and give me some aprox. prices.?

Also does the transfer rate matter alot. i.e will it cause some sort of noticble difference between the internet speed on the laptop and pc even though they are using the same conection via the pc.?

And can they go through a couple of gib walls without to much problems?

Lohsing
30-05-2003, 08:11 PM
I have the same setup and have no problems... wireless cards are only about $80-$100 now.

File transfer between PC's is slow because wireless only allows transfer of up to 11mbps ... that's megaBITS, not megaBYTES... compare that to 100mb connections if using a Cat5 cable and appropriate hub.

I would say at a guess the access point is going to cost $200-$300 although I might be wrong here... I got the Dynalink RTA300W (ADSL modem, 4 point hub and Wireless access point built in...

Couple of gib walls are no problems around here.

Lo.

Hershyll
30-05-2003, 08:50 PM
do you lose internet conection speed as a result of slow data transfer rates?

Lohsing
30-05-2003, 08:55 PM
Not at all... downloading from net is full speed... just transferring files between PC and laptop is slow...

John H
30-05-2003, 10:26 PM
Mine works between my outdoor office on the back of the section, and a desk in the house. 30 metres distance, all doors and windows shut. The office is a Skyline "Gottage" (I call it the Shed) with metal cladding, ranchslider, gib walls, and another gib wall in the house to go through. Both the house and shed are insulated with batts, not that I know whether that makes any difference!

My wife in the house can also send print jobs to the shared printer in the shed. Gives you a bit of a start when the printer fires up without any apparent command except some lights flickering in the access point.

Hershyll
30-05-2003, 11:04 PM
if its not too much trouble could you please list the equipment in you set up, because I'm not sure if I can connect a access point directly to my pc or if i need a router.

Chilling_Silently
30-05-2003, 11:47 PM
2x USB>WLAN adapters...

Not much more.. :-)

depends on how you want it setup :-)

John H
31-05-2003, 10:14 AM
>...could you please list the equipment in you set up

I have a Linksys WPC11 Wireless Network PC Card (PCMCIA) in the laptop, and a Linksys WAP11 Wireless Access Point for the main PC. The PCs on the wired LAN and the wireless access point are connected to my adsl modem router, which is a Dynalink RTA300. That gives the laptop and other pc's on the wired network the ability to share printers, internet connection etc (ie you only need the one adsl modem and printer to service all computers on the network).

All computers have a network card installed, but the network card is only needed in the laptop on those occasions when I connect it to the network by cable.

If you just have an adsl modem, and do not have a modem router, you can simply attach your adsl modem and your pc and wireless access point to a hub or switch. Having a modem router such as the RTA300 saves the extra cost and desktop space of the hub or switch, and reduces cable clutter and more power bricks in your junction boxes.

Dynalink also sells a modem router with the Wireless Access Point built in (RTA300W) which is a much more elegant solution if you are starting from scratch. It will save you money if you are in the market for all of the above bits if you can buy the WAP and switch built into the modem. D-Link are another manufacturer of an all in one modem/router/WAP.

I am not necessarily recommending the Linksys products - they are fine, but I gather that DSE has lower cost products (I don't know anything about their quality).

Hershyll
31-05-2003, 12:15 PM
The problem I have is my internet conection is ihug ultra and my pc has a decoder in a pci slot. I want to be able to access that and my printer, files etc.
Will I need to have an access point connected to a non-wireless router so i can access all those things or will I be able to access them with just an access point connected the the pc?