PDA

View Full Version : Which Linux?? Older Computer

Brad H
30-05-2003, 05:47 PM
Which Linux is best for a pentum 200, 64mb ram, 2gb hd

I would perfer a well known type ie mandrake or red hat and i need kde or gnome, older versions are welcome but i would like somthing that is easy to use and is compatible with windows files and networks and hp printers.

bmason
30-05-2003, 06:26 PM
Something like mandrake 8.0 would run reasonably on that. Although more RAM would make it nicer to use.

Brad H
30-05-2003, 06:33 PM
thanks, I already have a copy of mandrake 8.2

bmason
30-05-2003, 10:35 PM
If you already have it, you might as well give it a go. It shouldn't be too bad if you turn off as much eye candy as possible (you can turn some back on later if your happy with the speed).

I would suggest KDE over gnome unless you install the older gmc filemanager instead, because nautilus is slow.

Chilling_Silently
30-05-2003, 11:50 PM
Agreed!

Although a light-weigth window manager like XFCE would be your best option til you get at least 32MB More RAM :-)

Dylan
31-05-2003, 01:30 AM
I would install KDE 3.0 barebone on mandrake 8.0 - 9.0 and use a RPM manager to only install what you need.

Chilling_Silently
31-05-2003, 08:58 AM
Although you would have to be careful with the dependancies, you can compromise system stability etc. if you remove the wrong thing when KDE needs it ;-)

Brad H
31-05-2003, 02:52 PM
Thanks, All of the replies have brought me out of the dark

Dylan
31-05-2003, 08:57 PM
true, but the package manager I have says "you will also need to install these file xxxxxxx.xxx, xxxxx.xxx, etc". It should take care of all the libraries and dependancies

PoWa
31-05-2003, 09:35 PM
Just out of interest, how much hard drive space does a full installation of rh9, mndrake9 take up??

And how does the linux filesystem work? I can't understand it...its not like windows with all the system files in one place...theres so much stuff to search through!

JohnD
31-05-2003, 09:47 PM
A full installation of RH9 (which includes much more than the OS of course) takes up 4.8Gbytes. A minimal but useful installation would be about 1.5Gbytes. You can probably install it on about 800Mbytes if you try.

JohnD
31-05-2003, 09:51 PM
I presume you mean the directory structure rather than the file system. Have a look at:

http://www.firstlinux.com/articles/cards/lds.shtml

John

Chilling_Silently
31-05-2003, 10:08 PM
> Just out of interest, how much hard drive space does
> a full installation of rh9, mndrake9 take up??

A good useful install of RedHat (Without OpenOffice, but WITH KOffice and KDE) is about 1.1 - 1.2 Gigs, depends a lot on what you install though!

> And how does the linux filesystem work? I can't
> understand it...its not like windows with all the
> system files in one place...theres so much stuff to
> search through!

A quick run-down is it all starts with the root directory represented by a /
From there, everything else is a tree almost, off of that.

Extra HDD's can be 'mounted' whereby a Folder is created, and the drive is set in place, or mounted, into that folder, if that makes sense, so you could acces your secondary HDD from /mnt/hdb1

/mnt is where most devices around mounted like /mnt/cdrom and /mnt/floppy, and then there's your extra HDD's if that's where you choose to mount them :-)

the hdb1 is explained like this:
hd = hard drive
or it could be:
sd = SCSI drive
b = Primary Slave, hdc would be Secondary Master..
1 = partition 1 :-) And extended partition may be hdb3

Hope this helps

Chill.