PDA

View Full Version : A BIG Thank-you

Chilling_Silently
30-05-2003, 05:17 PM
I just wanted to say a BIG Thanks to all those who've helped me along the way with RedHat Linux.. Its been a long journey, but I think Im nearly there :-)

I can remember when I first started and wanted help with sndconfig and setting up samba. Ive come a long way and I wanted to say a big thankyou, in particular to Gorela, Graham L, bmason, and all those who've responded to my cries for help ;-)

So.. Thankyou :-)

Dolby Digital
30-05-2003, 05:41 PM
>>Its been a long journey, but I think Im nearly there.
And where would that be... :D

Kame
30-05-2003, 05:43 PM
The long journey of the completely switching from Windows to Linux. Well from what I've read of the subject :P

bmason
30-05-2003, 06:28 PM
No problem. I find linux problems more interesting than windows ones these days. Probably because I'm still learning myself.

Joe_Bloggs
30-05-2003, 07:38 PM
Why would you bother, as Windows is a piece of cake compared. I prefer to do something constructive instead of bollocksing around with an OS that seems doomed to be problematic

segfault
30-05-2003, 07:56 PM
> Why would you bother, as Windows is a piece of cake
> compared. I prefer to do something constructive
> instead of bollocksing around with an OS that seems
> doomed to be problematic

Why wouldn't we?

cyberchuck
30-05-2003, 09:24 PM
> Why would you bother, as Windows is a piece of cake compared. I
> prefer to do something constructive instead of bollocksing around with
> an OS that seems doomed to be problematic
The question is WHY is Windows a piece of cake? Is it because it's a dominant OS and you would most likely have been using it for atleast 2 years?

I've decided to have a go at linux for several reasons...
1 - I wanted to do something stupid (not a good reason, I'll grant you that, but it's better than nothing)
2 - I wanted to learn something new... seeing as I'm tied down with StudentNet at the moment I didn't think I'll be interested learning a new programming language, so I decided for a new OS
3 - It's FREE you can get Free applications for it that are almost (if not equally) as good as programs you pay for!
4 - Macs are too goddamn expensive... At the end of the day I either wanted a Mac (no idea why - most likely so I could "get to know the enemy" :p or I wanted something based on Unix that I could play around with.. Well seeing the hassles with SCO, I got my Unix OS ;))
5 - Linux is gaining worldwide support these days as a Server OS and a Workstation OS. I would rather be able to sit down at any computer I could find and be able to do what I wanted (within reasonable grounds) then having to sit down and figure everything out first time
6 - I am reasonably knowledgable in Windows, and can do most things that I need to do - more than some other people infact, so I figured why learn more about something I could probably use with my eyes closed when I could learn something entirely new?

CyberChuck

cyberchuck
30-05-2003, 09:28 PM
> Why would you bother, as Windows is a piece of cake compared. I
> prefer to do something constructive instead of bollocksing around with
> an OS that seems doomed to be problematic
(take 2)...
1 - Why do you think Linux is doomed to be problematic? It picked up all my hardware first install. All my programs were setup for me on first install. On first reboot I was in my linux machine and working.. For a 20 minute install that is extremely productive...

2 - What would you rather do thats "constructive" and doesn't bollocks around? as I consider something productive as whether I learn something new. If I have learnt something new (regardless of how small, insignificant or stupid it may be) then my day has been constructive

CyberChuck

bmason
30-05-2003, 10:12 PM

I find windows to be just as much work as linux.

If I mess with windows it breaks, if I leave it alone it usually leaves me alone.
If I mess with linux it breaks, if I leave it alone it usually leaves me alone.
If I mess with macosX .... well it looks so nice I probably wouldn't get that far :-).

End.

Robin S_
30-05-2003, 11:22 PM
Why would you bother, as Windows is a piece of cake compared. I prefer to do something constructive instead of bollocksing around with an OS that seems doomed to be problematic

Which one were you referring to (as problematic)?

If you took all the Microsoft/Windows problems out of this forum it would be a mighty lot smaller!

Joe_Bloggs
31-05-2003, 01:44 PM
>
> Which one were you referring to (as problematic)?
>
> If you took all the Microsoft/Windows problems out of
> this forum it would be a mighty lot smaller!

Thats cause 99.9999% use Windows and only a few Linux

Any fool can see that every post re: Linux is a problem of major magnitude

robsonde
31-05-2003, 06:17 PM
one might ask why build a kit set car when for the same $$ you can get a car that runs first time and needs no construction..........

I work with linux for the education of it all.

**rant mode on**

lets not make this into a "who's is bigger" contest, some people like window, some people like linux, every one needs help sometimes and that why we come to this forum.

threads about "windows Vs linux" or "mac Vs windows" are never productive, lets not get into knocking anyones choice of OS of hardware.

**rant mode off**

Joe_Bloggs
31-05-2003, 06:39 PM
> threads about "windows Vs linux" or "mac Vs windows"
> are never productive, lets not get into knocking
> anyones choice of OS of hardware.

eh????? Why are computer people so damned bent on saying it's never productive. One of the joys of life is a good robust debate.

robsonde
31-05-2003, 06:44 PM
>
> > threads about "windows Vs linux" or "mac Vs
> windows"
> > are never productive, lets not get into knocking
> > anyones choice of OS of hardware.
>
> eh????? Why are computer people so damned bent on
> saying it's never productive. One of the joys of life
> is a good robust debate.
>

A one on one conversation can be good debate, a thread on a fourm becomes a flame-war.

stu140103
31-05-2003, 06:54 PM
> A one on one conversation can be good debate, a
> thread on a fourm becomes a flame-war.

Like this one which is about to turn in too one.

This topic has gone soooo off topic; this topic was just so Chilling_Silently could say Thanks to all the people who have help him with his Linux problems,Now it is about to turn in to a flame-war.

That is my 2cents for today :D

Chris
31-05-2003, 07:13 PM
I'd like to join Chill on the thanking of those who have given their time freely to help those of us who chose a Linux learning experience.

Its almost a year since i "converted", i'm not going back. I'm soon to install Linux in other machines, with new questions and problems to share.

Maybe soon i'll know enough to offer some help to the greenest of Linux newbies?

Hey Chill, your one to one help with samba was excellent, so I'll thank you, and note that your a fine example of the concept "what goes round comes round" AKA "good karma".

.Chris

Chilling_Silently
31-05-2003, 10:19 PM
> Maybe soon i'll know enough to offer some help to the
> greenest of Linux newbies?

Oh, but you do!
You just need the chance.. I know you've helped me from time to time with a few questions Ive had :-)

> Hey Chill, your one to one help with samba was
> excellent, so I'll thank you, and note that your a
> fine example of the concept "what goes round comes
> round" AKA "good karma".

nzStan
01-06-2003, 05:52 PM
My resolution for this year is to convert my office laptop from Windows 2000/Star Office to RH Linux/Star Office. Will keep you posted. BTW - my laptop is a Compaw Presario 711AU. Will probably do this while I go on leave (that's my idea of a holiday LOL).