PDA

View Full Version : Computer restarts

sandyb
30-05-2003, 12:10 PM
A friend has a reasonably new athlon pc company (not sure of the specs)
computer which randomly restarts during use. It does it during games and sometimes during using works and on the internet.
is this likely to be hardware or software?
I think she should take back to the shop.
Or is it something simple?

Lohsing
30-05-2003, 12:16 PM
Is Windows XP loaded on the PC? If so, it restarts automatically if it encounters any errors.

Lo.

sandyb
30-05-2003, 12:18 PM
Thanks it is xp and there is a setting to turn that off as well isnt there.

Lohsing
30-05-2003, 12:21 PM
Has this happened only recently? Have other programs been installed since you received the PC which may have caused these errors?

Lo.

metla
30-05-2003, 12:24 PM
My first advice with a newish pc is to take it back to the shop if its still under warrenty.

my second advice if warrenty aint an option is to clean up the os and install some hardware tempature monitering software like cpucool.

If the os is in good condition(having said that xp doesn't really suffer the way 98 does,it can handle a fair bit of turbulent software without rebooting)then its time to look at the hardware,psu and ram are the first on the list.After that it gets a fair bit more involved and your gonna need some known good hardware to swap into the machine....

But quite an involved process if your new to it.

Take it back to the store.

But one thing you can do before you take it back,You can disable the rebooting and have the puter hang while hopefull displaying an error msg(which may or maynot be of any help)

If its under warrenty then use it.

Every time a puter does a crash and reboot it runs a serious chance of destroying the sectors of the harddrive it was accessing at the time,this causes a snowball effect,as the computer is prone to crashing again as it tries to use that part of the harddrive bringing on another reboot and more ruined clusters.

Although these can usually be fixed with a low level format.

heh,im rambling again.

take it back.

Lohsing
30-05-2003, 12:28 PM
Geez... that's a pretty thorough explanation, but I'm hoping as it is 'newish' that we can trace the problem back to a specific game, or software change which would result in this sort of problem.

Look at whether game patches have been installed as these can be a source of headache for errors and restarts.

Anyway, let's wait until Sandyb advises what software has been installed, and how old the PC is, etc.

Lo.

sandyb
30-05-2003, 12:49 PM
Thank you for the excellent reply. the computer is only 3 months old and has a 3 year guarrenty .My friend can take it to the shop and let them sort it out.

sandyb
30-05-2003, 12:49 PM
Thank you for the excellent reply. the computer is only 3 months old and has a 3 year guaranty .My friend can take it to the shop and let them sort it out.

tweak\'e
30-05-2003, 01:07 PM
i would be inclined to check temps, scan for spyware and do basic maintance first. at least you may have an idea of whats going on in case the pcco start giving bogus reasons. (eg "it was your fault you had spyware installed") nothing worse than a fix and repair daily pc due to poor hardware.

metla
30-05-2003, 01:16 PM
Also,if it goes back to the shop,ask em what they are going to do,if the pc companies idea of a fix is to format and reload then u will lose whatever files are on your puter u want to keep.

Break out the cd's and start burning.