PDA

View Full Version : OT: Does anyone else think that's a ghastly portrait?

Billy T
30-05-2003, 12:18 PM
Saw the portrait of Hillary in the Herald this morning and was a bit shaken by the apparent license used by the artist. :O

I'm no art connoisseur, and I accept that portraits in oils are not "photographic" studies, but I thought it should at least look like the man.?:|

Maybe we shouldn't have used an Aussie artist :(

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :|

honeylaser
30-05-2003, 12:44 PM
It doesn't even look like him! It makes him appear overweight and older than he actually is. Don't know why they commissioned an Aussie "artist" to do it - it isn't as if we don't have any talented artists in this country. I do hope he doesn't pretend he likes it when he sees it.

Terry Porritt
30-05-2003, 01:33 PM
It's quite lifeless, there is no twinkle in the eyes, that's not really Ed.

Thomas
30-05-2003, 03:34 PM
The art critics will tell us how good it is,I mean these sods tell us Colin Mccan or whatever is name is ,was good!!

John H
30-05-2003, 04:43 PM
I didn't like it when I saw it on TV, and thought he looked really grumpy, which is not like Sir Ed (at least in public).

However, his daughter in law seemed quite enthusiastic - she said she liked the way this big man was crammed into a little frame, and how he seemed to be trying to burst out (or something to that effect). If the artist was trying to convey that this man is bigger than life, then maybe that is some sort of achievement.

I still think he looks a grumpy old man, crammed into a tiny frame...

Misty
30-05-2003, 09:30 PM
If you saw the photos on the back of the NZ Herald - he always came across well and very vital with a wide open grin and definitely with a side profile - front profile and closed mouth is not the same !!
Not very recognisable. Disappointing !!!!
Misty
:( :( :(