PDA

View Full Version : IE Crashing

Berryb
29-05-2003, 11:25 PM
I am trying to fix a computer with a faulty search toolbar. From what I can understand from the owners they had some search toolbar from www.sqwire.com installed. This has been removed and now when IE starts it crashes and closes. It also did this when opening Control Panel, My Computer etc but managed to get to the Views options and untick the Search toolbar what stopped them from crashing. My question is since I canít load IE enough to get to the views option is there a way to change the toolbars via registry or other method? I have updated IE to the latest version and refreshed the OS but no luck. Canít uninstall IE as it is part of Win98. Ideas??

Muzzer
29-05-2003, 11:46 PM
hi

You'll be able to access your IE internet options/properties in control panel. Failing that you may have the repair option for IE in add/remove programs. Do the add/remove on IE and select repair if its available. Write down all youre settings for IE & OE (ISP, email addy, plus export the address book & mail, etc.) Failing that you might try deleting IE in add remove it will not go completely but will roll it back to the previous version keep going until it wont go any further trying in between to see how it goes.

Have you run Adaware or Spybot to clean out any highjackers? If you cant't get on the net with IE and you don't have those programs they could be emailed to you if OE is still ok what type of connection do you have dialup or ADSL?

Cheers Murray P

Muzzer
30-05-2003, 12:10 AM
Hi Again

Just checked out sqwire.com. As soon as I got onto the computer page I got 3 alerts from Spybot for avenue adware and clocksync a nasty little dialer type adware. SOooo don't go there folks. And while writing this my firewall has picked up clocksync wanting to write home.

Cheers Murray P

Berryb
30-05-2003, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the info. I will try the spyware programs. I have access to the IE properties but there is no option that I can see to alter the Toolbar options. I have updated and repaired IE with not luck. If need be I will try to uninstall IE as far back as I can. Outlook Express is working fine and I can always install Netscape or Opera to get on the net.

Pheonix
30-05-2003, 11:16 AM
Spybot probably better at bars and highjackers than ad-aware. Saying that, I still run both and never a problem. also spybot has an "immunize" facility now which stops a lot of "highjackings" of your browser.

Susan B
30-05-2003, 01:15 PM
The sqwire.com toolbar appears to actually be another version of the Xupiter toolbar. Run Spybot Search & Destroy with the latest updates and it should get rid of it for you.

Let us know how you get on.

Berryb
06-06-2003, 09:13 PM
Susan you were right. Sqwire.com is another version of Xupiter as Spybot found it and removed and sovled the prob. Thanks to all who posted. I have another prob now with another computer but will post a new thread.