PDA

View Full Version : GeForce 4 cards

wintertide
29-05-2003, 09:57 PM
I am looking at upgrading my TNT2 in my new PC to a GeForce 4. However, I am not sure whether I should buy a GeForce 4 Ti or a Geforce 4 MX. I only use the PC for casual gaming, but would like to be able to run Unreal 2 and other games like it. I am looking to spend absolute maximum $300 on the card.

What GeForce is best in terms of price and performance?

tango
29-05-2003, 10:01 PM
well i have a 420 mx. it does the job well, i haven't played unreal 2 yet but it runs battlefield 1942 well. if you prefer to just have the game running decently, as opposed to being able to crank the most power possible, an mx is fine. someone else might know differently though...

robsonde
29-05-2003, 10:03 PM
the TI cards are the better card but from waht you say the MX will do everything you want.

I only have a GeFore 2 MX and it runs unreal fine for me.

tweak\'e
29-05-2003, 10:24 PM
it also depends on how fast your pc is. a gf4tixxxx may be a waste of money.

wintertide
29-05-2003, 10:28 PM
Sorry - forgot to mention my PC specs.

They are currently:
Athlon XP 2000+ CPU
Gigabyte GA7VAX1394 m/b
256MB DDR266 RAM
40GB Seagate Barracuda HDD
NVidia TNT2 vid card

metla
29-05-2003, 10:54 PM
look thru threads from the last couple days,theres a couple on video cards.

The g4mx is only a third of the card that the g4ti is.

You wont be happy if you buy an mx then later on see what a ti can do.

Running the latest unreal release on a ti is a jawdropping experience,although id recomend another 256mb stick of ram.

Chilling_Silently
29-05-2003, 11:15 PM
Ive gotta agree with Metla there, Ive got an nVidia GeForce 4 MX 440 SE-T and it does well at 1024x768 in games like UT..

In Linux, most of my screensavers get about 40fps, running at 1024x768 in 16Bit

The performance of the Ti cards is HUGE!
If you can spare a little extra $$, then you'll thank your wallet in the long run :-)

Although, in saying that I'll still get the same card for my next PC in a month or two :-)

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chill.

metla
29-05-2003, 11:17 PM
just out of curiosity,after running that stormtest i put ya on to,did u find out wether the g4mx suported overlay?

Chilling_Silently
29-05-2003, 11:23 PM
LOL - Ive been running RedHat for the last week or so, Only rebooted into Win2K for 5 mins this evening to compile an app Ive been working on for the CyberCafe ;-)

I'll go down to my bedroom tonight and try it out for ya :-)

I know it works on the Gateway's SiS 630 OnBoard VGA ;p

PoWa
30-05-2003, 12:07 AM
At the looks of it $300 is not going to get you a GF4 ti card. Thats wishful thinking. (Unless maybe you get a good deal off trademe). You can get some good deals off there and it would save you a fair bit of money.

Have you got Unreal 2 yet? It only requires a 32mb card, 64mb recommended.

Got 8x AGP on your motherboard??? Your not going to see anything special with a ti without 8x agp.

If you do decide to save your money for a while, get one of those Radeon cards. Apparently they outstrip the Geforces by a long shot in testing.

Buy a cheap Geforce 4 mx440/460. Or a geforce 3, if you can find one.

Don't let this turn into a flame war anyone!

metla
30-05-2003, 12:48 AM
hmmmm,i wish people wouldnt talk out there crack.

1.You can purchase a g4ti for $260,And get an excellent brand name one for $300,i picked up my asus ti4200 for $330 about 3 months ago.

2.Unreal2 will make use of the best videp card you can throw at it,it has without doubt the best graphics of any game ive ever seen,it asks for more then what my card can give it.

3.You wont see anything special without 8xagp? wtf is that about?a g4ti cant even make use of the bandwidth made available by 8x,it doesnt even make use of all thats supplied by 4x,.....8xagp is purely and simply a marketing angle.

4.The gforce4mx is based on the gforce2 chipset,its old and it cant compare to a ti,at all,in any circumstances.

Its a fine card if you want to spend less then a hundred dollars but you get exactly what you pay for.

Different views are one thing but people jumping in with info they pulled outta fairyland should be deleted.

Jen C
30-05-2003, 01:10 AM
>I am looking to spend absolute maximum $300 on the card.

The Leadtek WinFast GeForce4 Ti4200 A280LE 64 MB cards have dropped in price - you can easily pick one up for under $300. I see one for $270 [includ GST] according to Pricespy - Graphics (http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_967.html)

{tries not to think about the extra $60 it cost me for the same card less than 3 months ago :(}

PoWa
30-05-2003, 01:45 AM
Alright so maybe they dropped down in price. A month ago they were like $800 for a ti4200. I don't surf every tech website looking at geforce prices, I have better things to do. But sorry for the incorrect information anyway.

To sum it up:

Whatever. Who cares. Make a big deal of it metla. Get help. Get a life.

PoWa
30-05-2003, 01:51 AM
Actually where I got my incorrect information from: I thinking of the GF4 ti 128mb 8x AGP cards.

The ti 4x 64mb cards are obviously much cheaper.

metla
30-05-2003, 04:02 AM
my apoligies for getting jumpy.

but,the misinformation going round here about video cards is getting to me,ive repeated the same basic bit of info in at least 4 threads now.

If anyone purchased a card based on some of the bad advise given out around here they would be having a more severe disservice done to them then anyone on the recieving end of my flak.

It cant hurt to make sure at least some of ones facts are somewhere near the ballpark before directing someone in a direction to spend there money.

Oh wait,this stand of mine means i need to get a life and get help.

lmaox2

nomad
30-05-2003, 10:49 AM
i have seen prices of the Ti4200 for the last 2 months at least well under $300. i agree 8x AGP bandwidth is not so needed, I have read a review that was posted by one member on this forum. u do get benefits but they were in single digits. nothing to justify getting a 8x AGP port.

I would personally go for the Ti card, hey bet u it cost more to sell and buy another card and how often do a person upgrade a mobo anyway these days the CPU is way fast enof for DVD playback, mp3, web/email and office applications and even some forecasting, photo/video/editing editing... unless u are a v keen enthusiast. maybe the bottlneck will be future's new windows ...

Nomad.

tango
30-05-2003, 10:54 AM
people arguing over the internet is funny. after only 2 or 3 posts i'm wondering who will punch first!

Muzzer
30-05-2003, 11:50 AM
Hi Josh

How bout a quick FAQ on gfx cards to cut to the chase along the lines of a brief revision history or is that bigger than it appears to me on the face of it?

I've been reading the posts re cards and mobos that have croped up over the past month or so and very intersting and informative in most cases they have been if you let the theads play out to there conclusion. Your right tho, there's a lot of repeated ? But that is so for alot of the queries or discussions on PF1 hence the FAQ.

You, tweake and whetu and a couple others probably have the best handle on hardware topics as they relate to performance, mods, etc. Give the most intersting and plausable replies anyway :)

What do you think? Don't hold back I'm a big boy now!

Cheers Murray P

Lohsing
30-05-2003, 11:55 AM
Just to throw another spanner in the works... why not look at an entry level FX card? They are just as cheap as the MX, but a pure DX9 card and benches better too.

Otherwise, get a ti... NEVER get the MX otherwise your 'upgrade' would just be a waste of time.

Lo.

tweak\'e
30-05-2003, 12:19 PM
only catch with doing an faq on hardware is the price factor and peoples system. to get a good "bank for your $$" you need to know the current priceing and the persons hardware. also how it is going to be used plays a big part. recommending parts is such a subjective thing, everyone has different points of veiw. eg gamers won't touch a MX card with a 20ft barge pole and always make sure the vid card is better than the rest of the system. more average users are often happier about useing a cheaper MX card.

Susan B
30-05-2003, 01:34 PM
You guys might be interested in this page (http://www.dansdata.com/cardchoice.htm).

Muzzer
30-05-2003, 03:09 PM
My suggestion for the FAQ was more of getting people on the right track with their questions in the first place.

I realise its a biggish ask and didn't expect a comprehensive list and review of the cards just a brief what the cards capabitlities are and what the chip revision for eg, relates to in the scheme of things gfx and what will it play, agp x rating would be useful. A ready reckoner if you like so that people can get to the juicier bits faster without having to repeat yesterdays question/post in its entirety (mind you I need the repeats in diff style for it to sink in).

Was just a thought as it has come of late, if its a dumb A idea it'll die a natural death. :)

Cheers Murray P

Muzzer
30-05-2003, 03:24 PM
Thats a heap of great info Susan but.... what about the person wnating to know what to slot into his/her 650 Duron or Celeron so that they can play whatitsname without locking up?

You could search Google for old reviews but my point is alot of people are asking here on PF1 and there are other people here that have the knowledge tucked away in their skulls to give the answers. Matybe 3 slightly diff answers from 3 diff helpers but most questioners will get the idea.

Well I must get back to earning a living.

Cheers Murray P

Chilling_Silently
30-05-2003, 05:10 PM
If you have a 650Mhz, you wont get the best performance out of UT 2K3 due to proccessor speed.. I think it need a minimum of a 933 Mhz.. or is that recommended?

Either way, for some a cheap $120 GF 4 MX 440 is a good option, why fork out the extra $200 when your CPU is too far behind.. I would go for the Ti based cards or higher if the PC I was upgrading was over 1Ghz and you didnt mind spending the extra dosh.

The GF4 still has a place in today's market, but it wont stay for long with prices of the Ti coming down fast.

They dont get over 60fps at 1024x768@32Bit, in pretty much anything, but the suffice at a good 40 fps.

AFAIK, PCW deem 60fps as the new minimum acceptable in playability for Graphics Cards :-)

Hope this helps

Chill.

Muzzer
30-05-2003, 05:56 PM
Hey thats great Chill another volunteer for the FAQ steps up to the plate. How bout having a chat to the other likely lads & ladesses :D

Cheers Murray P

wintertide
30-05-2003, 09:31 PM
Thanks for all your replies.

I know that 256MB extra RAM wouldn't hurt, but that's going to be a near future upgrade, after the video card. Also, if you all looked at the specifications for my motherboard, you would notice that it is an 4X/8X AGP motherboard, so it will take any new card I can throw in it.

I know a place that I can get cards relatively cheap through my workplace, so the price doesn't really matter too much as I can get a good deal. I also don't play games all that much (too busy with work), so I really don't care if it is a Ti or MX, as long as I can run the games smoothly.

Thanks,
Wintertide

Chilling_Silently
05-06-2003, 01:05 PM
Metla>

Yes, I believe it supports overlay... only question is what exactly is video overlay?

Cheers

Chill.

metla
05-06-2003, 03:55 PM
> Metla>
>
> Yes, I believe it supports overlay... only question
> is what exactly is video overlay?
>
> Cheers
>
>
> Chill.

I do not know.
........ha

But i could take a guess.

And that guess would be that the card is capable of displaing images on screen from 2 different sources.This would be of utmost importence when doing video editing.

Just a guess mind you,dont quote me on that.

metla
05-06-2003, 03:59 PM
Actually,i thinks its just the ability to play video?

The placement of a full-motion video window on the display screen. There are various techniques used to display video on a computer's screen, depending on whether the video source has been digitized or is still in analog NTSC format.
Since computer monitors are generally analog, NTSC video can be merged with signals coming from the video adapter. Increasingly, faster computer buses (PCI, VL-bus, etc.) and faster video busses (Advanced Feature Connector, VM Channel, etc.), allow for analog video to be digitized and stored with other binary data for output. Then the video adapter turns it into analog scan lines for the monitor.

metla
05-06-2003, 04:00 PM
the above text was stolen from this page btw.

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/V/video_overlay.html

metla
05-06-2003, 04:10 PM
From further research...

Its a necessary feature for putting effects onto existing video footage(on screen text, transitions, etc etc)