PDA

View Full Version : Password Problem

Donald M
29-05-2003, 09:55 PM
My neighbor is having problems with logging on to her Win XP. Her 7yr old Son has somehow activated the password login and now has forgotten the password he used! It seems as though he has made this user the Administrator.

Is there any way to delete this administrator and then make the Mother the Administrator so that this doesn't happen again?

Looking forward to your comments

somebody
29-05-2003, 10:32 PM
If the her son put a password on the "mother" account, then at the welcome screen, push "Alt-Ctrl-Delete" twice. A single login box should come up. Log in as Administrator (password should have been created during installation).

If it doesn't work, there is a way I've heard of to wipe passwords put on accounts, but i'll have to find it again.

Donald M
29-05-2003, 10:38 PM
thanks somebody

Will try the "Alt-Ctrl-Delete" twice trick. But have a funny feeling that the 'Mother" account might be the Administrator. Is there any way of finding out if it is?

somebody
30-05-2003, 05:13 PM
on top of the "Mother" account, there should be an "Administrator" account created during installation.

I don't know of any way to find out, but I think that if there are any other logons, then it might be able to be found somewhere on the system.

Chilling_Silently
30-05-2003, 05:26 PM
There's a file called SAM I believe in C:\WinNT\config\

Delete it then login as Administrator with no Password :-)

somebody
30-05-2003, 05:29 PM
yes... i have read about that... doesn't make you feel to reasured about Windows' security does it.

Babe Ruth
30-05-2003, 05:43 PM
Rather drastic step and some configuration/user details will be lost. And is also only easy to accomplish if the filesystem is FAT(32). Although using a Linux boot disk or cdrom will help.

If the user was running Windows XP Home Edition then the original (standard setup) Administrator account did not have a password (null password by default). use the CTRL-ALT-DEL (twice) method at the logon screen to access the login box and type in the Administrator user name with no password and press enter.

If it was an XP PRO system then there are more refined ways of dealing with this issue all of which are clearly outlined in various FAQ's available on webboards e.g. Lost_Admin_password (http://www.windows2000faq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=14729)

Babe.

Babe Ruth
30-05-2003, 06:03 PM
Further... You can also get an NTFS Boot disk for password recovery/reset of any user account on NT4, Win2K and WinXP systems which works with both FAT and NTFS file systems: available from PcHelpLive (http://www.pchelplive.com/)

Cheers, Babe.

Donald M
30-05-2003, 07:58 PM
Thanks for all your ideas, will give them a go (dont know if I know enough about Bootdiscs tho). My neighbour is away for the long weekend so will keep you informed how I get on next week.

Many Thanks
Donald M