PDA

View Full Version : What kind of video card?

Rog.
29-05-2003, 08:16 PM
I have just purchased a compaq deskpro pentium 3 500mhz to add to my collection. I want to be able to play games on it but it has a rage pro turbo ati agp video card in it. I have a spare 32mb tnt2 card but it doesn't fit as it seems to be a different size and configuration. What sort of card do i need to purchase?

tweak\'e
29-05-2003, 09:26 PM
what slot? pci or agp? a gf4mx440 or a 2nd hand gf2pro.....depends on how much you want to spend.

kidkumara
29-05-2003, 10:25 PM
yes, would like a G Force AGP card, but i don't think they will fit the slot as the plug output seem's to be in a different place to the rage pro that it will replace

tweak\'e
29-05-2003, 11:03 PM
> but i don't think they will fit the slot as the plug output seem's to be in a different place to the rage pro that it will replace

can you discribe that any better?? the placement of the output plug won't matter as long as its the same plug (ie it can plug into your monitor) and uses the same slot. if you don't have an agp slot just get a pci card.

btw.......please try to use only one username.

metla
29-05-2003, 11:51 PM
What colour is the slot that the existing card is in?

agp is brown.

pci is white.

kidkumara
30-05-2003, 06:40 AM
Existing card is in a brown agp slot Melta. Sorry about user name tweak but couldn't log in with the other. My agp slot is on the oposite side of the motherboard to the pci & isa slots. The output monitor connecter MUST be at the uppermost end of the card as there are other output devices (onboard sound etc) directly in front of the slot so a normal agp card wont fit as the monitor output cnnection is at the bottom.

Thanks all.

tweak\'e
30-05-2003, 10:46 AM
this is sounding interesting :) have you got a model number or a pic of the motherboard?

kidkumara
30-05-2003, 07:12 PM
I can take a picture of it tweak but how do I post it?

Jen C
30-05-2003, 07:21 PM
> I can take a picture of it tweak but how do I post
> it?

You can use the PF1 image uploader site here (http://www.sal.neoburn.net/pf1images/pf1images.php). Save your picture as a jpg, upload it and then post the image URL back here.

Jen

the highlander
30-05-2003, 09:21 PM
If it is the deskpro I'm thinking of , it will have a small backplane instead of the larger backplane of a standard vid card. Simply remove the backplane from the existing card (two small nuts) and install it on your tnt card (after removing its backplane). However be careful inserting the card in the agp slot since these rage agp cards have a narrower portion at the front to allow it to clear the motherboard and some associated widgets beneath it. Brute force will of course succeed at the cost of a munted motherboard. Ive done it but it was a tight fit. A tnt is a very suitable card for these comps.

kidkumara
31-05-2003, 06:21 PM
THANKS alot people! With a lot of help from you people, a hacksaw and tin snips. I've managed to install the tnt2 agp card and it works! For those that are interested, I've uploaded a couple of photo's so you can see what i was up against.

http://sal.neoburn.net/pf1images/Img_0001.jpg
http://sal.neoburn.net/pf1images/Img_0002.jpg

Thanks all of you and any further tips appreciated.

Roger.