PDA

View Full Version : what do people use for playing cds?

tango
29-05-2003, 08:51 PM
windows media player 9 annoys me. and i can't figure out how to make it annoy me less. anyone know of a quick cd player program? preferably with equalizer controls. i haven't had much success with winamp either.

thanks

Chilling_Silently
29-05-2003, 08:59 PM
Not even WinAmp 2.91?
It doesnt like using the EQ for playing CD's.. although I KNOW you can make it do it!

Terry Porritt
29-05-2003, 09:06 PM
In Windows 98SE I just use the MS built in CD player from Start-Programs-Accessories-Entertainment. It's plain vanilla no-frills, but starts up fast, and has no problems or irritating ways, and Ive set it to open when a music CD is inserted.

Big John
29-05-2003, 09:12 PM
I use a CD player to play CD's. It works wonders with them.

tango
29-05-2003, 09:33 PM
haha

Susan B
29-05-2003, 10:06 PM
You could try FooBar2000 (http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_software/audio_players/foobar2000.cfm). It is a nice little no-frills player that is very easy on resources.

Joe_Bloggs
29-05-2003, 11:14 PM
Sonique is pretty good as well

Chilling_Silently
29-05-2003, 11:20 PM
> I use a CD player to play CD's. It works wonders with
> them.

Funny that ;-)

In WinAmp if you want to use the EQ in WinAmp, All I've had to do is open the preferences, choose Output Plugins, and then the DirectSound Output plugin.

From there, I chose my Audio Card (SB!Live or Onboard AC'97.. Im using speaker on the SB!Live...) and hit Okay.

Seems to work fine with the EQ :-)

You can also play around in there with CrossFading, like what WinAmp 3 has, only more customisable :-)

Hope this helps

Chilling_Silence

stu140103
30-05-2003, 12:05 AM
windows media player 7.00

Rod J
30-05-2003, 12:28 AM
In Windows 98SE I use Winamp 2.80 (loads instantly and does all I want) and Windows Media Player 6.4 (I refuse to upgrade to that behemoth later version which takes an age to load on my Celeron 500 system). And in Mandrake Linux 9.0 I use Xmms which is very much like Winamp.

tweak\'e
30-05-2003, 12:35 AM
well i use winamp 2.91 useing digital extraction. try zoomplayer,its not really setup for music playing but its a good allround media player.

tango
30-05-2003, 10:58 AM
ok i'll have a go with winamp 2.9 again. one of the things that annoyed me that i couldn't be bothered getting around, is that some of my cds have comptuer data on them as well. and i can't figure out how to open them in winamp, because instead of the Track*.cda files showing up on the cd, it has the actual other stuff they put on there.

Chilling_Silently
30-05-2003, 11:13 AM
Right-Click anywhere on Winamp and choose Play
>Audio CD X:\
Where X: is you CD-ROM Drive letter :-)

tango
30-05-2003, 02:22 PM
it's running a lot better now

thanks you guys :)

drys
30-05-2003, 07:27 PM
Tango What part of windows media player 9 annoys you, could you be more specific I have been using windows media player for years playing music cds thru to media works very well for me. Maybe theirs a problem with the program or operator error.

Maarten
30-05-2003, 08:02 PM
Winamp 2.80, IMHO it's a very fast and efficient music player, unlike Windows Media Player

Chilling_Silently
30-05-2003, 11:51 PM
Maarten>

Get the latest, has MPeg support!

Maarten
31-05-2003, 12:26 PM
Which one, Winamp 3 or 2.91? I can't stand 3, it defeats the original purpose of Winamp - it is a memory hog, and takes ages to load.

Synchronized_Thoughts
31-05-2003, 06:04 PM
Try MUSICMATCH Plus!!!:):):) i use it and its the BOMB aye!! i love it, very nice skins aswell!! dont sink down to the level of winamp! it sucks!! try out MUSICMATCH aye!!

Peace

Synchronized_Thoughts

Bazza
31-05-2003, 07:48 PM
Although this thread asks about CD players, Synch Thoughts is correct, in that MusicMatch will do that, and very much more.

An amazing player/recorder/burner, that I've used for years. There are so many features, too numerous to list here, but I was amazed recently when I discovered it can play streaming audio, and at the same time record the audio as mp3 or other format.

Sure it is a large application, but these days, you guys have the capacity to handle this.

Don't believe me? Well check it out at:

http://www.musicmatch.com

Synchronized_Thoughts
31-05-2003, 07:52 PM
yaya i was rite!!:)

tango
31-05-2003, 08:27 PM
drys, it's operator error, the fact that i can't be bothered find ways around it :)

whenever i open it, it gets the news and all that stuff etc from the net, which takes time, and i always have to go to view > info center view > always show to get it to display the tracks down the left hand side. this seems strange seeing as i have "always show" selected... also sometimes my firewall pops up a box asking if media player is allowed to access the net. i'm on adsl so i'm always connected. it takes time to load, takes time to actually start playing songs, and i've often found it to freeze for small moments while putting a cd it or something. all i want is to play cds :P

Bazza
31-05-2003, 08:41 PM
Yes, Synch, you were right, but wait. I doubt if anyone will listen, and check the MusicMatch.

The Winamp seems to be the favourite, and people seem reluctant to try other alternatives.

BTW, the music library in MM is great for managing all ones music tracks, to play, save, copy, burn..

Chilling_Silently
31-05-2003, 10:13 PM
Yeah, 2.91

WinAmp 3, I can agree with.. not everybody has the latest hyperThreading P4 ;-) You can run it on less though :p

But the idea is that WinAmp 3 uses Wasabi which is supposed to allow extended plugin features, apparently at the cost of speed... among other things.

Ive tried MusicMatch Jukebox, and its more an all round media management suite, as opposed to WinAmp which does one thing and it does it well, Play Media :-)

PressF1 User
01-06-2003, 10:53 AM
I use Windows Media Player 6.4 which is still available even in Windows XP - it can be found in the - C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player folder and is named as: mplayer2
It starts up quick and plays the audio formats very well. Therefore, you don't need to install any other program if just playing CDs is all you want to do because mplayer2 will do the trick.
Regards PF1 :-)

E.ric
01-06-2003, 11:24 AM
I always use a CD player, I find a record player is useless.

Sorry I did not answer the other day.

Joe_Bloggs
01-06-2003, 11:31 AM
> Although this thread asks about CD players, Synch
> Thoughts is correct, in that MusicMatch will do that,
> and very much more.
>
> An amazing player/recorder/burner, that I've used for
> years. There are so many features, too numerous to
> list here, but I was amazed recently when I
> discovered it can play streaming audio, and at the
> same time record the audio as mp3 or other format.
>
> Sure it is a large application, but these days, you
> guys have the capacity to handle this.
>
> Don't believe me? Well check it out at:
>
> http://www.musicmatch.com
>
>
>

Well said Bazza. I have been using MM Plus for a few months. Its well worth upgrading from MM Basic.