PDA

View Full Version : Acrobat to Word

ronmar
29-05-2003, 03:57 PM
Is it possible to copy an Acrobat file into a Word file (97)

godfather
29-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Yes, with a caveat that depends on how the PDF file was created originally.

If you search on Google (http://www.google.co.nz) using the terms "pdf to word" (include the quotation marks) then you will find 4,530 links.

While some will relate to the purchase of software, surf around and you should find some trial or free packages.

The other method is to select the Text tool in Acrobat Reader, and highlight the text in the document, then copy, paste into word.

Most conversions strip out any formatting in my experience.

Graham L
29-05-2003, 05:53 PM
That is because a PDF file is actually a programme, not a "lot of text with formatting tokens included".

John H
29-05-2003, 06:07 PM
>The other method is to select the Text tool in Acrobat Reader, and highlight the text in the document, then copy, paste into word.

I have found quite a few .pdf files won't let you do that godfather. They must have been protected when they were created.

It is odd - I work with quite a lot of NZ Government .pdf's (e.g. from the Min of Health) and find some protected, some not. Not sure why, but it is as irritating as hell when it happens!

godfather
29-05-2003, 06:13 PM
Yes, hence the "caveat" in my opening sentence.

If you create them as a graphic in Acrobat then the text is not selectable.

Worth pondering here for a minute, as to why documents are distributed in .pdf format in the first place.
It is usually to prevent anyone being able to alter it (by converting to Word format for instance) it, as a prime reason.
Portability between platforms is another reason of course.

John H
29-05-2003, 06:28 PM
>Portability between platforms is another reason of course.

Interesting - I thought this was the only reason for the format, but then I used to be a Mac user!

I suppose .pdf's are also available to people who do not have Word, or whatever alternative programme that the article was written in.

Muzzer
29-05-2003, 07:37 PM
this (http://www.pdf995.com) it may just what you want.

Cheers Murray P

ronmar
10-06-2003, 02:55 PM
Many thanks to all who replied

Chilling_Silently
10-06-2003, 03:03 PM
Yeah, Portability.. It wasnt meant to be Platform-biased like MS-Word docs etc.

It was also s'posed to be more compressed and designed for transfer across the net on slow ol' modems (Of which I own one :()