PDA

View Full Version : using dial up and cable connection simultaneously

RedStar
28-05-2003, 09:04 PM
hi guys, i wonder if there is anyway I could use dialup connection and cable internet at the same time, eg: I would like to chat over the mIrc using my dial up connection and at the same time browse internet using my cable connection. At the moment as soon as I connect over dial up it takes over the control over cable and all programs start using dialup connection although cable is still active. I have winXP professional. Any suggestions?

Muzzer
28-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Haven't tried it myself. In theory it could be done because the data is moved on diff wave lengths. Looks like your diff protocols are getting grumpy. Whats your splitter arragement, where does your modem line connect?

Cheers Murray P

RedStar
28-05-2003, 09:24 PM
hi, my 56k modem is normally connected to a telephone jack and my network card is connected to a cable modem

Kame
29-05-2003, 12:32 AM
The problem I see is which connection is the default gateway, if the cable is the default gateway to the internet then it'll be the only one being used as the dialup's gateway would be ignored. (or vice versa) There obviously is a way to do it so that it does what you want but I just can't think what it would be.

Talon
29-05-2003, 10:53 AM
he could always get a cisco router and set a route map, forcing the mirc related traffic to travel one path and the other stuff to head another way.
but i have a small felling that would cost waaay to much to even consider.
and then there would be the small task of setting it up (nice and fun)

yang11
29-05-2003, 12:40 PM
dial-up by default is always the default route once established. of coz you can delete dial-up route/gateway to make the cable default.

instead of buying a cisco router and programming. you can use an old machine to setup a linux router.

have a look here:

http://lartc.org/

I dreamed to do some traffic control using linux.