PDA

View Full Version : Flat Screens

Barbara
28-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Thinking about replacing my existing monitor with a new flat screen, but someone told me that they have a limited life.

Anyone know if there is any truth in this, because I don't want to spend about $700 on something that isn't going to last.

Thanks

sc0ut
28-05-2003, 03:37 PM
Flat? or Thin? screen

honeylaser
28-05-2003, 03:45 PM
> Thinking about replacing my existing monitor with a
> new flat screen, but someone told me that they have a
> limited life.
>
> Anyone know if there is any truth in this, because I
> don't want to spend about $700 on something that
> isn't going to last.
>
> Thanks

Flat Screens have the same life as all other CRT monitors. Flat Panels have an approx. 50% longer life than CRT's. Still worth getting one with a 2 or 3 year warranty though.

godfather
28-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Err...Flat Panels (LCD screens) have a quoted life of around 20,000 hours.
(At least that figure is quoted for one of mine)
Conventional screens (CRT) have a life about 3 times that, 60,000 hours.

So at 8 hours per day, the LCD should last 6 or 7 years. Adequate, as by then replacements will be cheap and you probably won't be able to but a CRT screen.

I run all LCD screens, and find they are overall much better to use.
You do get what you pay for though. Try Philips or Viewsonic.

caffy
28-05-2003, 08:19 PM
I have Viewsonic VE510+ monitor, must say its much better than my CRT monitor..

Some people mentioned it wasnt good for gaming, but i haven't found any problems with it so far...

I'd recommend gettin a LCD Monitor - they are much easier on the eyes, and you can enable a text clarity option (is this what it is called?), which makes the text easier to read, and yeah another advantage is the (little) space the monitor takes up. An bigger advantage if you are the person that tends to move the computer around a lot - no more lugging around a huge and heavy CRT monitor.

cheers,
caffy

honeylaser
29-05-2003, 10:40 AM
> Flat Screens have the same life as all other
> CRT monitors. Flat Panels have an approx. 50%
> longer life than CRT's. Still worth getting one with
> a 2 or 3 year warranty though.

Sorry, my boss corrected me on this one. CRT's have a longer life than Flat Panels. I reckon CRT's have a lot more things that could go wrong with them though.

rugila
29-05-2003, 11:43 AM
CRT (can have curved -is cheaper -or flat screen - is more expensive) is a pretty old technology going back to William Crookes about 1870. (you can look up Google if you want more accurate dates etc)

LCD, flat screen is a different, much newer technology, emanating I think from HP about 1968. Also called TFT sometimes, this being a form of the more general LCD technology that is well suited to computer screens (eg. much thinner, doesn't have streamms of electrons balsting at your head from close range etc..

LCD/TFT and its developing technology is likely to be the way of the future. I use one myself and strongly recommend them over any CRT whether flat or otherwise.

If you want a very comprehensive survey of LCD computer monitors, check out the May 2003 issue of Australian PC Authority.

This looks closely at about 60 makes/models (not all available here) and their recommended best are along the lines of Benq, Samsung, Sony, Phillips and (maybe surprisingly) Auriga (at least in tye 15" display).

Dylan
29-05-2003, 11:48 AM
Get a LCD - much better for your eyes

I got one just for my healths sake.