PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera

Muzzer
27-05-2003, 11:29 PM
Hi Folks

Found out today that I can use a digital camera for work purposes. Previously I was required to use film only, for inserting images into documents.

I'm up for a new camera anyway and want to go the digital way. Advice on what to look for and what to beware of + models/brands will be welcomed. Heres what I need it to do:

I need detail, as in the textures and faults in surfaces.

I need pictures from a few hundred mm to several metres away (with as much of above detail as poss).

I need a good flash. For lighting shaded areas (outdoors), for indoors and letting shots in dark dank places with very little natural light. I won't have the time to wait for light conditions to change.

It needs to be reasonabley rugged with easy operation, one handed at times.

I won't be doing action shots and will rarely take photos from more than 50m.

Hoping to spend anywhere from$700- to $1600-. Of course price will sway me but also bear in mind that this is a tool.

Am I asking too much of a digital camera, is that price range a reasonable expectation?

Thanks for you time. Murray P

godfather
27-05-2003, 11:45 PM
In that price range you will get something quite suitable.

Points to look for, when deciding:

Pixel count - at the price range 3 Megapixel would be fine.

Batteries - Very important, as they are thirsty. AA cells are better as you can use rechargeables but also alkalines if you get caught with low batteries.

Zoom - Do not consider digital zoom, as it downgrades the quality. At that price you should get about 3x optical zoom.

Macro - useful for the close-up shots.

Flash - all built in flash units are a bit limited to range, but cameras with external flash provision are quite expensive usually.

Most cameras on the market are fine. Decide on your needs, and find which cameras fit the requirements.

I run 2 x Fujifilm, 1 is 2.4 MP (MX2700) and the other 3.1/6.0 recorded MP (S602).

List price on the S602 is $1689 incl GST, its 6x optical zoom, 2 macro settings and all the normal settings that a 35mm SLR gives. Can be totally manual or point and shoot. Can be set to simulate 1600 ASA film speed which means you don't really need much of a flash.

PC world have a rundown on digital cameras in the latest issue (or was it last month?)

gerrypics
27-05-2003, 11:52 PM
Just my opinion.
3 megapixel minimum
3 x optical zoom (forget about digital zoom as you can do that with software.)
& for the type of work you are going to do look for something that will take an auxiliary flashlight.
As for brands, stick with something popular, but shop around.

Gerry

Muzzer
28-05-2003, 12:54 AM
Thanks for prompt replies Godfather & Gerry.

Ok, so I'm looking at or above my original budget.

Godfather. What does 3.1/6.0 recorded MP (megapixel) mean. Is that your actual file?

Memory requirements? for on average 50-70 shots /job, 1 job/day, many jobs out of town and mostly fine detail required.

Very rusty on the photography front so please excuse my ignorance. Its only a recent requirement due to a career/business direction change.

Thanks Murray P

godfather
28-05-2003, 06:14 AM
The S602 interpolates for the "equivalent" of 6 Megapixel from a 3.1 Megapixel uper CCD.
In truth the result is equivalent to 4 or 5 Megapixel.

I use 3 MP setting anyway, as full resolution = 18 MB file, which means you need a large memory card (I use 1 GB card, $600)

With the 1600 ASA setting you often don't need a flash at all, but resolution is 1 MP at that speed. I am sure you will get something very suitable at your price range though.

Muzzer
28-05-2003, 10:10 AM
Thanks Godfather. Youve set me on the right track. Have looked at a few camera stores (online) and the S602 seems to do best in its range, in my limited opinion.

Found some links to tutorials and digital photography sites so will swat up on the subject. At least now I can target my reading to the areas I need.

Thanks & All The Best

Murray P

honeylaser
28-05-2003, 10:38 AM
If you haven't already considered it, it's worth taking the Sony DSCF717 (http://www.dove.co.nz/products/DigitalCameras/IO832.htm) for a test drive. It's a bit more expensive, but well worth it. Also, I haven't tried it myself, but I hear the Sony DSCP8 is pretty good to (3x Optical zoom, 3.2MP).

nomad
28-05-2003, 11:03 AM
some places should have the Canon D30 model 3MP camera digital SLR on sale as its a discontinued product. this u can attach external flash and larger lense to anywhere the lenses are possible from a wide lense to a 800mm (even!). should not be bad priced as its a discontinued product.

Muzzer
28-05-2003, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the feedback. The Sony looks nice Honey haven't tracked down the Canon yet Nomad.

I won't do anything for a week or two, research to be done, unless something comes along that is too good to pass up.

Cheers Murray P

PS. Anybody had logon problems. Can't get into my Murray P acc. Have tried changing the password but it won't stick. Will wait for admin to get back to me, might have to make another post ;)

peterver
29-05-2003, 06:31 AM
Muzzer.Re digital camera,I can recommend Fujifilm S602 Zoom having purchased one just a couple of months ago.I bought mine from www.etown.co.nz an Auckland importer for less than $1300.00 (normal retail price $1999.00) This camera is stuffed full of features and was given a write up in PC World May edition.Good hunting.Peterver

John H
29-05-2003, 10:05 AM
Have you tried looking at the following web site for reviews of digital cameras?

DPReview (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs.asp)

Biggles
29-05-2003, 03:49 PM
Camera and Camera have an ad in the Herald today with the Sony F717 listed for $1999 complete with 128MB memory stick. Great camera.

John H
29-05-2003, 04:02 PM
There is a full review of the Sony F717 on DPReview website, and 92 owners' opinions! It is highly recommended there.

If you are interested, then it might be wise to check to confirm that the model being sold by Camera and Camera is the same as the one reviewed. I noticed the magic words "product refresh" in the review, which I only skimmed. Sounds a good price for a 5 megapixel camera.

John

Nomad1
29-05-2003, 04:23 PM
Thanks for that DPReview link - it was good to read what other people have to say about the camera I brought myself for xmas last year.
Panasonic LC 40 - very nice little camera. :D

caffy
29-05-2003, 05:50 PM
> PS. Anybody had logon problems. Can't get into my
> Murray P acc. Have tried changing the password but it
> won't stick. Will wait for admin to get back to me,
> might have to make another post ;)

I had that problem the other day, and even though my password was correct, it was sayin its incorrect. I resorted to registering caffy1, and again my password was rejected. Left it for one day, and tried again, got working again...

Muzzer
29-05-2003, 08:16 PM
Thanks all. It seems to be getting down to a shoot out between the Sony F717 and the Fujifilm S602. With the addons like flash, memory, bag, leather jacket and shades its going to come to a pretty penny :D

John I had a look at that site, very comprehensive. just reading the reviews are a learning experience, thanks. To everone else, keep it coming your experience is valued and thanks.

Caffy. I haven't managed to get Murray P back despite resetting the PF1 password 2 or 3 times :_| maybe Mr Buckman would be so kind as to intercede on my behalf :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;) ;) ;) ;) is that enough grease, if I could wink and grin at the same time I would or maybe not its not a pretty sight.

Cheers Murray P

Obelix
29-05-2003, 08:32 PM
Murray,

Ley me know what camera you are wanting to buy and I will see what sort of price I can do for you.

Peter

Muzzer
29-05-2003, 08:42 PM
Ta, will do Peter. Might not be for a couple of weeks.

Ta Murray P