PDA

View Full Version : Lost Hard Drive

stukiwi
27-05-2003, 08:45 PM
I have a problem with a second hard drive in my set up. All was working fine, both hard drives were recognized and working fine. Then after having a software problem I decided to format my main hard drive and reload XP Pro etc. All is working fine apart from second hard drive. Under "Computer Management"..."Disk Management" the drive is there but it describes it as "unallocated". On asking a friend he thinks I may have also formatted this drive also.
I have info on the drive I would like to recover it possible... Any suggestions.
System:
M-board Asus A7S333
Athlon XP1800
Maxtor 4d040h2 primary HD 40gig (working fine)
Seagate ST3421A 4gig (problem)
Opp system XP Pro.

Chilling_Silently
27-05-2003, 09:02 PM
You friend is partially right, you've deleted the file system from the HDD, which is sorta like the first stage of some formats.

You'll need to create a file system (FAT, FAT32, NTFS) on that drive, then format the file system...

You may be able to get the data back still though.. Knoppix might work..

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

Merlin
27-05-2003, 11:09 PM
Either data recovery or restore the boot sector record from the backup.

If none of this makes sense then employ a professional.

Chilling_Silently
28-05-2003, 10:21 AM
Merlin>

Data recovery would require a proffessional

stukiwi>
Try and get hold of a Knoppix CD, I know I have a ton of the babies that I sell cheaply to all my friends.

It's bootable Linux, and basically Ive used it just yesterday for something similar.

I was dual-booting Win2K and Win98 on a PC, I wanted to remove the 98 partition with Partition Magic.. So I was rebooting it and it was about to perform its 'magic' when it came up with NTLDR missing or corrupt, and the primary partition had been deleted already..

I booted into Knoppix, restored the data from the Second partition to a network drive, and I was peachy :-)
Format the whole HDD and start from scratch with my data safe and sound on a networked drive :-)

I do agree, that if this is above your head, take it to a proffessional repair shop. In honesty it should take them no more than 20-30 mins to get the data off the HDD, format the secondary drive and put it back, unless you have huge amounts that would take a while to transfer!

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

Merlin
28-05-2003, 10:25 AM
Unlearned friend from Dorkland >

Read before replying, and

Use spell check before posting

Chilling_Silently
28-05-2003, 10:36 AM
Oh sue me for spelling professional wrong!

*Feels like the world is going to end due to the extra f that has entered this world!*

Billy T
28-05-2003, 01:04 PM
Chill, Chill.

It is just a phase that some people must go through on life's journey. Sort of an androgynous-menopausal thing, but this too shall pass and we will all live happily ever after.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

[pre][b]Either that or it's the phase of the moon.:p

Patrick 2003
28-05-2003, 05:03 PM
yea your friend could be right, or the two different hard drives may not be sutable with each other, i would get 2 of the same kind ie 2 seagate hard drives.

Snaggle Puss
28-05-2003, 05:29 PM
There you go again. Teaching the young folk what you know best.

stukiwi
28-05-2003, 09:38 PM
TThanks.
Perrssonaly II could not give a FFFFF how many ffff are in profffffeshional. or is that profesanal

Dragonslayer
29-05-2003, 12:07 AM
hehe

Merlin
29-05-2003, 09:40 AM
Missed the point Richard - if you want to be one, learn how to spell it for a start. It's called image.

Dylan
29-05-2003, 10:54 AM
you might be able to use partition magic tp recover your drive.

Graham L
29-05-2003, 04:49 PM
What was the file system before you "improved" it? You didn't format it (so there's a fair chance of recovery) ... it would have had to be "allocated" for a format to work.

You have to remake the partition record, without the immediate formatting which MS's FDISK would do. The Linux "fdisk" or the GNU "parted" would make the partition safely. One of the "Magic" commercial ones might. If the disk was all one partition originally, there should be no problem.

However, if you want the data, and you don't understand these things, get someone who does. One wrong keystroke can lose the lot. :-( They don't need to be professional; an enthusiastic amateur would do. :D But get them to explain what they are about to do so that you do understand it before doing it. If they can teach you, they probably understand what they are doing.

stukiwi
29-05-2003, 08:16 PM
In answer to your question Graham L, the drive was Fat32. But I think rather then taking a screwdriver meets toaster aproach I will throw it (may be literally) at an x-pert. As the data was rather important to me and I would stuff it up by playing. Thank you all for your advice.