PDA

View Full Version : Net Sending from Linux to NT-Based PC, and LICQ revealing IP's

Chilling_Silently
27-05-2003, 08:03 PM
I know Net is part of Windows PCs, but now Licq is going, I can use it to see my contacts IP address.

I know some of them are surfing on NT-Based PC's without a firewall and would love to have a Net Send message popup on their PC... only Im on Linux, so that kinda kills the moment for me.

Next question is, why does LICQ only reveal some peoples IP address's truely, whereas for others it shows up as 0.0.0.0 even without a Firewall?

I tried it on CyberChuck.. He disabled his firewall for me... and it still shows up as that? (Yes, Quick, while he's surfing openly! ;-))
Why is that and how do I get it showing peoples real IP and not 0.0.0.0??

Cheers

Chill.

Jen C
27-05-2003, 08:33 PM
With Trillian and the ICQ privacy > IP settings, there is an option to hide your IP address - either completely, or only be visible to people in your contact list. Do these people have the full IP security setting enabled?

Jen

Chilling_Silently
27-05-2003, 09:50 PM
Well.. Ive diagnosed that the friends IP that was revealed was running GAIM, those on ICQ Lite dont show me their IP :-(

So that foils half the plan...

So, is there any other tool? Surely it must be able to see where its connections are coming from? None of the other people are using Proxy's.

And Im still open for Net Send ideas?

Cheers

Chill.

bmason
27-05-2003, 10:56 PM
You can send winpopup messages using 'smbclient -M hostname' if its anyhelp.

Chilling_Silently
27-05-2003, 11:01 PM
Now I know how all those Net Send Spammers send Multi-Line messages!

Thanks alot!

Just one more time... about IP's over ICQ/MSN, can they be revealed? Even with a special tool?

Cheers

Chill.

Kame
27-05-2003, 11:07 PM
Not particularly the thread I'd like to see here.

Should try specific forums that are actually related to these types of topics, Yahoo has these types of forums but the people there can't be bothered with lame questions.

Anyway, IP's will be revealed in any type of file transfer, or any method that requires a direct connection to take place. ICQ/MSN work off servers except for file transfers.

ICQ/MSN have fixed problems with IP's being revealled over their network, you may find people running prior versions will be the ones who show their IP.

Chilling_Silently
28-05-2003, 11:24 AM
Okay.. Thanks..

If Im treading on thin ice, I'll drop the subject :-)

Thanks for all your help, the smbclient -M worked a treat!

Cheers

Chill.

flying_green_leprachaun
29-05-2003, 02:07 AM
I dont think you are treading on thin Ice. your trying to find out their "real" address instead of their post office box for a lame analogy.

& they are people you know & want to have fun with ;-) practical jokes never hurt anyone ;-)

Look at M.I.T. (http://hacks.mit.edu/)