PDA

View Full Version : HELP - I've somehow lost part of my taskbar

somebody
27-05-2003, 05:18 PM
Somehow I've managed to lose the part of my taskbar which displays the windows you currently have open (eg. Internet Explorer etc.).

I am running WinXP Home, and I somehow did it this morning. The language bar and the "task"bar had swapped places, so I tried to switch them around. It didn't do any good. Basically I got back on my computer, and it had lost the taskbar. any ideas? (The start button, quicklaunch, system tray etc. are still all there).

Anybody know how I can fix this? I don't know how this happened, so yeah.

Susan B
27-05-2003, 06:12 PM
Just wondering if you have somehow slid the taskbar too far over one way. Make sure your taskbar is unlocked then look for "sections" to drag either to the left or to the right. Your cursor will change to a double-pointed arrow when you come across these "sections" and if this is what has happened you will be able to drag the windows icons back into view again.

J ZEP
27-05-2003, 06:17 PM
Hi somebody, don't know if this will be of any help, but, i just looked under the taskbar settings and noticed there is a setting: auto hide the taskbar, maybe somehow you ticked that or set it through the taskbar itself??? So presuming that as you haven't got the taskbar to right click - right click on the Start menu, then under properties - you have the taskbar settings tab to check if it is that setting ticked maybe?? Otherwise i am sure somebody else will know what it is :-)

somebody
27-05-2003, 06:19 PM
I can't see any sections. I have unlocked the taskbar to see. I assume that if I get rid of all the toolbars (language bar, quicklaunch etc.) the taskbar should come back, but it doesn't.

Now I've got better vocab (after talking to a friend), I'll re-word the question.

My taskbar has disappeared from my startbar. I have tried closing all the toolbars, to no avail, tried closing/starting explorer.exe, to no avail, tried logging off and on again, to no avail, and tried a restart, to no avail.

I am running WinXP Home.

HELP anybody???

somebody
27-05-2003, 06:20 PM
tried that... doesn't work unfortunately.

Pheonix
27-05-2003, 06:42 PM
Put your mouse pointer over the join between desktop and bar, where it changes to a "double arrow". Then left click and hold, then drag upwards so that the bar is double thickness. After releasing the button, open a folder and see if it appears in the task bar?

somebody
27-05-2003, 10:30 PM
tried that too. At the moment my start bar is double-thickness. It is unlocked, and the only "toolbar" is the Quick Launch. I wonder if it's been caused by some kind of virus or something?

metla
27-05-2003, 11:35 PM
supply a screenshot for a relevent diagnosis.

J ZEP
27-05-2003, 11:57 PM
A quick search of the k.base brought up

This (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318027)
and

This maybe? (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810706)

googles search brought up results that seemed to relate to drivers being installed recently that caused this kind of problem.........

But most searches ended up with/at the top link at the k.base as the answer.

hamstar
28-05-2003, 02:02 AM
if you dont have anywhere to put a screenshot email it to me at f_ckthe_system@mail2crazy.com and i will host it on my site for you.

somebody
28-05-2003, 08:53 AM
Hi J ZEP. I've read the Kbase article you found, and it seems like it could be relevant to what's happened to me. I'm just a bit confused at the terminology I should be using to describe the problem, but a screenshot should help.

I will get a friend to post the screenshot on his website.

somebody
28-05-2003, 05:18 PM
Screenshot can be viewed here:

[edit: URL removed]

Parts of the desktop have been blacked out deliberately for privacy reasons.

Pheonix
28-05-2003, 05:56 PM
Hmmmm, awkward problem isn't it? Just notice that with my taskbar, I have a dotted verticle bar after the quick launch icons, the same as the one at the front. You are mising this. Maybe a clue? Will go back and play and see if I can reproduce what you have achieved. :D

somebody
28-05-2003, 06:07 PM
the strange thing is.. I don't know how I did it.

Yesterday morning, the language bar and the taskbar swapped places, so I "tried' to fix it, but it didn't work. so I left them swapped around the wrong way, and shut down the computer.

When I booted it up yesterday afternoon, it had the missing taskbar.

Note that this problem does not occur with other user accounts. I am running WinXP Home with SP1.

If this is a sign, sometimes when I log in, it freezes, before it loads any of the icons in the system tray. I have to physically hit reset, and the second time it boots up it doesn't have that problem.

metla
28-05-2003, 06:15 PM
thats an easy fix,that dooted line is actually the 2 of them,just stacked on top of each other,grab the bottom section with your mouse and position it at the end of the quicklaunch icons.

somebody
28-05-2003, 06:17 PM
nope. Mine isn't 2 stacked on top of each other.

metla
28-05-2003, 06:21 PM
tried doubleclicking the dotted line?

somebody
28-05-2003, 06:26 PM
tried that.. doesn't do anything.

PoWa
28-05-2003, 07:36 PM
As far as we can see from the screenshot, there is nothing wrong with your windows.

Push the buttons on your monitor, and resize the *vertical* so you can see everything on the screen.

Now hover your mouse over the top edge of the taskbar. Click and hold. Drag down.

PoWa
28-05-2003, 07:42 PM
Turn the quicklaunch off. And try opening up a few pages in internet explorer. See if the thing has come back :p

Jen C
28-05-2003, 07:47 PM
>If this is a sign, sometimes when I log in, it freezes, before it loads any of the icons in the system tray. I have to physically hit reset, and the second time it boots up it doesn't have that problem

I see that you have NAV as well as Nortons Personal Firewall. NAV seems to cause a traffic jam (so to speak :)) during startup occasionally, which causes a freeze - you can tell it is about to happen because the NAV systray icon fails to load. The taskbar often had "bits" of it missing as well. A reset usually results in a more orderly startup. This happens very occasionally on XP for me, and used to happen a bit on WinME when I used to use those programs on that PC (use AVG on that one now). It is a known issue, and I remember reading about a fix for it somewhere. As it only rarely happens for me, I have never followed up on the fix for that issue. If you are getting this startup freeze often, you may wish to look into it further.

somebody
28-05-2003, 10:27 PM
I have tried that. If I turn all the toolbars off, the entire start bar disappears, and I can't "drag" it up. The only reason in the screenshot I dragged the start bar so large, is to prove that the dotted lines were't "stacked" as mentioned earlier.

I have read in a Microsoft Kbase article that it's a corrupted user account. I will probably just create a new account and transfer my files if I can't find a way to fix this problem.

But it would be good if I could fix this without having to do anything to drastic:D

somebody
28-05-2003, 10:29 PM
Thanks Jen C. My copy of Norton Internet Security is about to expire, so I might upgrade or switch to a free alternative. Will think about it closer to the time (next month).

somebody
28-05-2003, 10:31 PM
Another problem I have is that when I try to use Netmeeting or Remote Assistance (being "assisted" or assisting someone else), my computer freezes up and crashes. I have to physically hit reset.

I think it might be a corrupted installation, so I might have to do a reinstall at some stage.

ascidus
21-06-2005, 05:03 PM
Sorry for raising this topic up from the graveyard.
But, I have the exact same problem, (I've had it 2 times, on different 2 users)
and this is the 3rd time it's happened to me. Both times I simply created a new account and transfer all my files over to the new one. But this 3rd one has crossed the line. I'm really fed up of moving my files to my other account, and then waste countless hours trying to reconifgure my settings back to normal.

Anyways, this is the EXACT same problem, and I was wondering if anyone has found a fix in, a couple years of the last post. lol

Anyways, ask away, we might be able to fix this annoying problem forever.
Please, try and help me!

Rob99
21-06-2005, 05:14 PM
Try this (http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm)

ascidus
21-06-2005, 05:48 PM
Hey, thanks so much! I have my taskbar back again! YAY! :thumbs: