PDA

View Full Version : Linux - A program to pick up all the mail, sort it by name for the various users in a network

Chris
27-05-2003, 05:17 PM
This is what i'd *like* to do
a e-mail program runs 24/7 and picks up any mail sent to a ceratin mailbox that collects all the mail for one particular domain. It then sorts it so that Harrys mail goes to box1, Jo's to box2 etc. Harry and Jo would then pick up there mail from some internal server in the morning using *gasp* OE.

Any good ideas on what does and doesn't work here????

.Chris

bmason
27-05-2003, 05:33 PM
This is a bit out of my depth but I think fetchmail is what your looking for.

You might have better luck getting help if you post to the list of your nearest LUG, eg http://christchurch.lug.net.nz/ .

Chris
27-05-2003, 07:03 PM
Interesting to see that there is a CLUG meeting on Thursday. Perhaps i shall check it out.

Still there must be someone here who has had the task of distributing mail through a network before????

.Chris

cyberchuck
27-05-2003, 08:04 PM
> a e-mail program runs 24/7 and picks up any mail sent to a ceratin
> mailbox that collects all the mail for one particular domain.
So you theoretically want an email server??

> It then sorts it so that Harrys mail goes to box1, Jo's to box2 etc. Harry
> and Jo would then pick up there mail from some internal server in the
> morning using *gasp* OE.
Our school uses Qmail to do this. Qmail receives all the emails from our school, and holds onto them, and then when teachers finally get around to checking their emails, Qmail sends over the emails...
Although due to the nature of the schools network, the emails remain on the server and we use the IMAP protocol (not POP3), however I'm sure that QMail would support POP3...

CyberChuck

Chris
27-05-2003, 08:19 PM
IMAP or pop3. Either or.

All that matters is that a Linux box sits there doing all "that pick up the email from xtra's server" stuff 24/7, and sorts it into some kinda system of mailboxes that other machines can pick up on via in house network. I'd prefer something that runs as root in the background in much the same whay all the other servers are happy to do.

.Chris

cyberchuck
27-05-2003, 08:26 PM
Hey

If your users will generally be using the same PC then POP3 would effectively be the better protocol. IMAP is only used at school so staff can check their emails on any workstation around the school and do whatever they want - more of a convenience thing than anything...

Do you really need to use Xtra's servers?? no offence intended to Xtra here, but couldn't you just tell domainz that your mailserver is mail.domain.co.nz or something and then all mail get's routed to your mail server for handling?? That will save you with Xtra's costs and means you can easily add a new user, etc.

I know that Qmail has it's own account on the school server which it does tasks with... don't ask how I know though ;)

CyberChuck

cyberchuck
27-05-2003, 08:28 PM
Just a reminder to be aware of Open Relays and so forth if you do decide to use your own SMTP server... last thing you'd want is unnecessary bandwidth, and to help the spam markets.

Chris
27-05-2003, 08:57 PM
>Do you really need to use Xtra's servers?? no
>offence intended to Xtra here, but couldn't you
>just tell domainz that your mailserver is
>mail.domain.co.nz or something and then all
>mail get's routed to your mail server for handling??

Um well this network connects via jetstream, so there is no fixed IP, also the users will be connecting to the main server from various windows workstations throughout the house, currently everything goes through several xtra mailboxes, domain1 domain2 domain3 etc, each at additional cost (of course) I am just trying to get it so that it works through one mail pick up, and internal distribution.

If it was being done at home, I would be looking at pointing mail direct to SAM, (cable has fixed IP) but thats a different story.

.Chris

TerryW
27-05-2003, 10:38 PM
I do this for a couple of domains around the place. Have a look on the net for "postfix" and "qpopper" (mind you any pop3 server will do). Qpopper is very simple to setup and postfix is also relatively straightforward. As someone else mentioned, be sure your SMTP server is secured; if in doubt just use your ISP's for everything. A program like webmin can make setting up the likes of SendMail or PostFix a bit easier. As far as running this off Jetstream, you will need a dynamic ip program from one of the sites in this list http://www.oth.net/dyndns.html

I have used dhis.org a while back and it was ok, and we are using no-ip.com for a few tests at the moment.

Good luck with it.