PDA

View Full Version : 4 month old pc outdated already?

nzotago
27-05-2003, 03:47 PM
Hello all,

Decided in February to allow my 6 yr old pc retire gracefully. Thus went out and spent a reasonable amount of hawkesbys on a newer sleeker model, P4 2.5 GHz, 512Mb 4200 DDR-RAM, GeForce Ti 4200 graphics card, 19" screen, etc, etc...

One reason for this purchase was so I wouldn't have to stare forlornly at all the exciting new games I couldn't play, however after four months it seems I've already over the hill.

Enter the Matrix (which I just purchased) runs like a two legged cross breed hound. I've updated drivers, read a few forums, uploaded patches for the game, but still she refuses to allow me to participate, which considering the $100 I just shelled out for the game (not to mention the cost of the pc) is very annoying.

In the humble opinion of the f1 community am I just out of date already or are there more tricks out there I can use to cox my new muse into co-operation.

Chilling_Silently
27-05-2003, 03:52 PM
If you've updated the Detonator Drivers for your nVidia Ti 4200 card, then try updating DirectX 9!

There is no way your PC is outdated already.. should suffice for some time to come :-)

Graham L
27-05-2003, 04:23 PM
Yes, it shouldn't be obsolete for at least a couple of weeks. :D

That machine would have enough grunt to handle the "work" computing load for a country. Even a modern game shouldn't be too slow on it.

Iain Walmsley
27-05-2003, 04:28 PM
Have a look at the games official website and see if anything crops up. Also, are you trying to run the game on maximum settings? Game manufacturers are often fairly loose with what their game requires to run on, often the recommended specs mean, "This is what you need to get to the main menu"...

If it lets you, bump most of the video settings down to medium or so. This should make a world of difference in frame speeds.

Iain

Biggles
27-05-2003, 05:03 PM
Well Scott Bartley here at PCW HQ is running the Matrix game on a P4 2.8GHz, 512MB RAM with a Radeon 9200 128MB video card and he says it runs sweet as, so I'd say your problem is definately NOt the PC. Most likely video-driver related.

Lohsing
27-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Ok... first thing to check is whether your motherboard drivers have been loaded yet or not.

Second thing to check is whether you have updated to Direct X 9 or not.

Third thing is to check your settings you have turned on your graphics card. Maybe they are too high? Like you have anti-aliasing turned on up high, etc... turn these off...

Last thing is to check the graphics quality settings in your game... what screen size resolution are you running at? I would say that 1024 X 768 at 32bit colour depth is fine... Anything higher and your graphics card might struggle to cope without stuttering?

Is it just the Matrix game it chokes on?? What motherboard do you have?? What OS are you running it on, etc...?

Have you updated the latest patches for the Matrix game yet?

Lo.

Chilling_Silently
27-05-2003, 07:28 PM
Scott you lucky boy!

Oh how I miss the life ;-)

Did you get your PC upgraded in the end, or you using the nice one you showed me last time I was round?

nzotago
27-05-2003, 10:02 PM
I've been reading up a few more forums and it seems the game has more bugs than 'ANTZ' the movie. I am now resigned to waiting for more patches for the game to be put out, hopefully in the next fortnight before my PC becomes outdated ;-).

So far I've...

Updated sound drivers, graphic drivers (up to latest then back to 1 version previous on advice from official game site), I've got Direct X 9, tried changing the graphics settings to as low as possible, smallest screen res, closing everything bar life support to free up RAM...

Still no joy,

Oh and as comparision Medal of Honour maxed out graphics settings runs fine

other PC details...
MB: gigabyte GA-8SG800
Mem: 512 DDR-RAM 4200

I am still suspicious that something is not right with my PC, though this particular game is obviously not an objective test. Partly because of the game but also the horrendous amount of RAM that seems to be chewed up with bugger all open, I do have a few things installed but no more than my old beast.

Lohsing
27-05-2003, 10:07 PM
Oh ok! Thought that the game was a bit on the buggy side... I'm playing on X-Box and haven't tried PC version yet.. .

Anyway, if you are CONVINCED that there is something wrong with your PC... download 3DMark2001 and 3DMark2003 and bechmark your graphics card and PC... you can find it from this website (http://www.futuremark.com/) .... with a setup like your's, I would imagine you would be able to hit around the 11,000 mark on 3DMark2001SE...

Lo.

metla
27-05-2003, 11:31 PM
hmmm....Your mobo uses.....AUDIO: REALTEK ALC650 CODEC AUDIO ON BOARD.

This is a long shot but hey,u never know.....and i dont know the capabilities of that onboard sound.

anyway,
Some of these games ask your onboard sound to use features they just dont have and the sound card ends up doing a neat little feture called "emulation"...practicly forcing the puter to its kness as the onboard sound chip steals the cpu cycles.

so?

disable sound and try again,see if theres any difference...if not,ignore this post.

Lohsing
27-05-2003, 11:33 PM
Actually, I have onboard sound on my PC... been meaning to upgrade it, but have never had the problems you've described Metla.

Lo.

metla
27-05-2003, 11:47 PM
well,it depends on the capabilities of the onboard sound chip,some of the ones on the newer boards are right up there with the audigy2.

I have a cheap and nasty mobo with a cheap and nasty onboard sound and certain games choked(xp2200,g4ti4200,512mb ddr),a soundblaster cleared it all up.

A quick and easy test is to run dxdiag and see if your sound chip fails any tests,sometimes it will come up saying your card doesnt suport such and such thru hardware and will use software emulation.

I was also reading up on a sound card test a few weeks back at tomshardware where they found some onboard sound cards held back performence by 30 percent,although this still wouldnt make the game as unplayable as the thread starter has experinced.

One example for me would be gta3,untill i played around with the sound settings the game was unplayable,the pos was simply asking my sound chip to do stuff well outside its capablities.

heh,but i ramble on,sometimes stuff just dont gel like it should.

Lohsing
27-05-2003, 11:49 PM
Actually... how can you tell what chip each mobo is based on?? Is there a test?

Lo.

DangerousDave
28-05-2003, 09:01 AM
You've got win98 on a P4 2.5ghz machine!!!!!! thats probably half the reason, from what i've seen 98 runs crap on anything over 1.5ghz!. Upgrade to XP i reckon, should run heaps faster...

- David

Lohsing
28-05-2003, 09:22 AM
> You've got win98 on a P4 2.5ghz machine!!!!!! thats
> probably half the reason, from what i've seen 98 runs
> crap on anything over 1.5ghz!. Upgrade to XP i
> reckon, should run heaps faster...

No, that wouldn't be the reason that it's running slowly... and no, don't go out and upgrade to XP without checking out other hardware, and software configurations suggested first...

Lo.l

Muzzer
28-05-2003, 10:01 AM
Sisoft Sandra std should do, to identify the chip.

Cheers Murray P

nzotago
28-05-2003, 10:23 AM
I do have a patch for 98 which allows it to run at 2.5 pretty well. The on-board sound issue might be on the button, as before I installed the upated codec for it there were no sound effects and it ran better than it does now.

It's annoying to think though that if I shelled out $400 to get an audigy 2 I might as well buy a PS2 or xbox, hire the damned game and leave my pc for doing silly stuff like work

Chilling_Silently
28-05-2003, 11:17 AM
Why not then go for a cheap SB!Live 5.1 from QMB.co.nz? Or even one of their more budget cards?

Im very pleased with my SB!Live card!

yang11
28-05-2003, 11:23 AM
GA-8SG800 is based on SiS 648 Chipset.

it good that your 2.5G still support win98se, many other mainboards just only support windows 2000/Xp.

what's the brand of your Ti4200, how much video memory? it should be ok.

if possible, load windows xp, at least w2000, to see you still have the probelm.

contact gigbyte tech support to see what they can suggest.

metla
28-05-2003, 12:12 PM
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy DE and OEM $155.00

Creative SB Audigy 2 Sound Card $245.00

http://www.quay.co.nz/

But try disableing your soundchip(in the bios) and running the game first

bk T
28-05-2003, 12:13 PM
> > You've got win98 on a P4 2.5ghz machine!!!!!!
> thats
> > probably half the reason, ............>
>

That's probably not the main reason but for a machine of this hardware configuration running Win98 ... eh .... pardon me!!

Any special reason for choosing Win98, may we share it?

Cheers

nzotago
29-05-2003, 12:21 AM
umm dare I admit I ran out dosh to upgrade so just installed 98se instead (with a patch to allow it to run the processor). Also had read some PC World articles that weren't exactly glowing re privacy, registration etc, etc, that kinda put me off

Graphics has 128Mb and I think its a Leadtek

Will try disabling the sound but otherwise off to the store tomorrow for new sound...