PDA

View Full Version : XP os, recycle bin, and switch off.

carl watson
27-05-2003, 03:29 PM
two trivial irritations.
I have "lost" the left hand side panel, in recycle bin, which enables me to choose "restore' if I wish. How do ir restore it please? When I close down, I am told "it is now safe to switch off". I am told by other users of XP that they just switch off, no extra work required. Is there an option for this somewhere?

csinclair83
27-05-2003, 03:47 PM
recyle bin

go to tools...click on folder options
then click on "show common tasks in folders:
then it should come up without a problem..

for the other one..i dont have a clue

Chilling_Silently
27-05-2003, 03:51 PM
Right-Click on your desktop and choose Properties
Click on the ScreenSaver tab

Click on Power Options down the bottom

A new window will open, Click on the tab labelled APM

Enable APM if your PC supports it, and all new PC's do, with APM having been around for a few years now :-)

Cheers

Chill.

BTW - You can right-click on certain files in the Recycle Bin and choose Restore from the mouse-menu :-)

honeylaser
27-05-2003, 03:54 PM
> When I close down, I am
> told "it is now safe to switch off". I am told by
> other users of XP that they just switch off, no
> extra work required. Is there an option for this
> somewhere?

Under Control Panel > Power Options there should be a tab named APM where you can enable automatic shutdown. If the tab isn't there, the advanced power options aren't enabled in the BIOS of your PC. You can double check whether APM is enabled by running Device Manager (Start > Run > devmgmt.msc > System Devices) and seeing whether it shows APM or ACPI compliant. If it is ACPI only, you should contact the PC manufacturer and see about a BIOS update/upgrade.

carl watson
08-06-2003, 08:33 PM
sorry for long delay in replying, but your tip didn't solve the problem, I am working in "classic" style, and I still can't recover the original style of "window" for the recycle bin. It was "there" and I must have clicked on the wrong thing somewhere, it is now just a clear window, without the options offered before. I realise I can "restore" if I go to file etc, but it isn't as convenient as it once was. most annoying!! Carl

carl watson
08-06-2003, 08:34 PM
Very sorry for long delay in reply. Yes, your tip solved the problem, many thanks Carl

carl watson
08-06-2003, 08:36 PM
sorry for long delay in reply, re the "switch off" query. yes your tip,(same one as the other reply, above) solved my problem. many thanks Carl