PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using a SmartFan II?

Iain Walmsley
27-05-2003, 10:13 AM
Just got myself a SmartFanII - the one used in the volcano 9... anyone using this and what do they think of it? Specifically how quiet is it running?

I got this one to use as a case fan based almost entirely on the reported 20dbA at low speed. I know that 20dbA is silent because thats what my CPU fan runs at and I can even crank it up a little from low, however when the SmartFan is on low, it still emits what can only be described as a grinding noise....

Iain

whetu
27-05-2003, 08:10 PM
motor hum... you would have been better off with a vantec stealth from what I hear

Iain Walmsley
27-05-2003, 09:35 PM
Just impatient really cos overclockers was out of stock. Still not entirely a waste, Im sure I can find a use for it. From what I hear the Vantec is about the best in terms of 80mm silent case fans... would be interested to see how it stacks up to the default fan Ive got, without the grill its actually pretty bloody quiet.

Northbridge fan next me thinks ;-)

Ive decided to avoid watercooling, Im going to use it in my next home made beast... might be a few years off yet as its going to be a dual processor Opteron or Athlon64 hopefully ;-)

mmm... dual processor.

*retreats to his corner to drool*

Iain

bmason
27-05-2003, 09:44 PM
I have one on my volcano 11 and I get the same. Even at minimum speed it makes a lot of noise for the amount air it moves. I don't mind it at minimum speed when its buried inside my case, but I would hate to use it as a case fan.

I have an old PSU fan that moves almost as much air at the smartfan at full speed and the fan itself is virtually silent (unlike the airflow). And it only needs 0.25a, unlike the 0.70a of the SF.

IIRC you were wanting a quieter system. In mine I have two 8cm fans (0.09a & 0.14a) blowing out and a 12cm (0.12a) sucking in running off a homebrew voltage regulator (with LED!). All the fans are were leftovers.

I usually run the fans at 5v because its the startup speed of the 12cm fan and its still enough to knock 5 degrees off my case temp without any noticable noise.

Iain Walmsley
27-05-2003, 09:54 PM
Yep, silent and cool is my current project.

I started off swapping the default XP2000+ HSF for the Zalman Flower cooler. Excellent choice, its a little bulky within the case, but is absolutely silent at a little more than minimum, and keeps my CPU around 10C cooler.

Was going to swap out the case fan, but after removing the grill its almost silent, so I might just add an extra case fan at the back for extra air flow.

Swapped flat IDE cables for round ones to improve airflow.

Got PSU and Northbridge to go, then soundproofing the case ;-)

Iain

bmason
27-05-2003, 10:08 PM
Your keen. Cooling isn't really a problem with my 2100+, it struggles to get to 40 degrees. I wouldn't be using any case fans I hadn't built a voltage regulator for them :-).

You might find it cheaper to just buy really long cables (or an old xterm if your a linux user) for everything and put the box in your garden shed :-).

Iain Walmsley
27-05-2003, 10:14 PM
Its more to keep myself out of trouble than any great need, my case never peaks over 55C and is actually very quiet... I just like fiddling.

Iain