PDA

View Full Version : Permanant running floppy drive

Donald Spittle
27-05-2003, 11:03 AM
The floppy drive on my computer has started to run continuously, putting a disk in stops it but it starts again whenever the computer is re-started.
The computer technician where I get it serviced is unable to find the fault having swapped everything he can think of.
The operating system is Win ME the only recent change was a new hard drive fitted some five days earlier.

Thanks Don Spittle

Kame
27-05-2003, 11:13 AM
Sounds like you've got a program that caches frequently used programs so it can speed up the process. It's possibly cached something on the A: and will continously look for it.

A program that does this is MS Office which installs this program in Start Up, just remove it. Also some entries in the registry (prefetch?) do the same thing.

Before consulting your technician ask for help here :P, Hopefully you've got an idea of what could be causing the problem. It's quite hard to fix problems when you have no access to their computer.

Terry Porritt
27-05-2003, 11:18 AM
Perhaps the floppy drive controller on the motherboard has thrown a wobbly.

The other thing to try is to to go into Device Manager from Control Panel-System, highlight the Floppy drive controller, and in Properties disable in the hardware profile.

A working floppy will still work even though it is disabled in the software as the BIOS will run it. (In fact the floppy is said to work a bit faster that way, but thats debateable).

If it still misbehaves, then it shows it is not a software problem, and the fault may lie with the motherboard.