PDA

View Full Version : epson 480 pad replacement + ink count resetting

johnbergers
26-05-2003, 06:46 PM
I have placed dry, cleaned pads in my Epson Stylus color 480 printer but it won't go. How do I reset the ink counter and/or what else do I need to do? OS is Xp. It all started with a message: "Unknown error. Please shut down the printer and contact your local retailer or service centre" Please advice, JOHN

Jen C
26-05-2003, 06:55 PM
> I have placed dry, cleaned pads in my Epson Stylus
> color 480 printer but it won't go.

Do you mean you have put in a new cartridge?

> How do I reset the
> ink counter and/or what else do I need to do? OS is
> Xp.

Go into Control Panel > Printer and Faxes. Right click on the Epson icon and select properties. Click on the General Tab, and then on the Printing Preferences button and then on the Utility Tab. You will see various checks you can perform including a Status monitor which may help.

Jen C
26-05-2003, 07:16 PM
Another thought - are you using the correct drivers? That printer's software doesn't include drivers for XP. You need to download them from here if you haven't already:
EPSON STYLUS COLOR 480 inkjet printer files (http://tech.epson.com.au/downloads/product.asp?id=stylusC480&platform=winxp&submit=Search+%3E%3E)

Jen

johnbergers
27-05-2003, 01:10 PM
HI JEN, no , i have replaced (internally) the ink pads that soak up the ink when cleaning the printer nozzle. Thes pads when full give the message as described before, and are controlled by an ink counter. Apparently, this counter needs resetting, for which there must be a program. That is what I need I think. Thanks, john

Steve Askew
27-05-2003, 01:20 PM
this sounds like it has a FIX (http://www.4p8.com/eric.brasseur/epson480.html) for your problem.
Cheers Steve

Graham L
27-05-2003, 04:35 PM
The counter I have come across is a chip in the ink cartridge, which says "empty" so you can't refill the cartridge. It's "officially" not user-resettable. (I believe that there is a little programmer which you can buy, and cartridge refillers use to reset this EEPROM).

I am pretty sure that that's your problem.