PDA

View Full Version : Drect Connect (why)?

Jams
26-05-2003, 10:13 AM
hey again

i have another question.

why would someone want to use drect connect, by this i mean, connecting 2 computers drectly together by either makeing to modems hand xhake and communicationg through hyper terminal, or conectiong the computers together through the Paralell ports..

Thanks

godfather
26-05-2003, 12:03 PM
Direct Connect is used when you want to transfer files between computers and you do not have network cards fitted.
Also called Direct Cable Connect, its been part of Windows since version 3.1 to my knowledge.

Serial or parallel ports, now can be done with USB also.
Modems will only work across a telephone system, and thats P2P more than direct connect.

Specially wired cables are required for the direct cable connect to work. Many years ago I used it to backup files from a Win 95 PC to an old 486 using Win 3.11

Kame
26-05-2003, 02:37 PM
I use to use DCC or interlink on my 486SX laptop (using a special parallel cable) that had no CDROM or Floppy Drive so I could format, install a new OS and other things using my desktop PC's CDROM and Floppy Drive without having to buy a PCMCIA Ethernet Card for it just so I could run it off the network.

Direct Connect with dialup modem? This is just saying connecting your modem to the ISP since that's a direct connection theoritically.

I still don't know why you would be asking this since there's a lot of reasons for doing this. Especially if it's your only option at the time when you need to transfer data and it'll be quicker than using 100 Floppies.

This method however was used on older PCs that didn't have what most modern PCs are capable of doing now. I haven't used DCC in a while as most modern PCs have Network Cards, USB Ports and other means of transferring Data which means I can connect my modern laptop up to them without using DCC.

Susan B
26-05-2003, 06:10 PM
Yes, I used Direct Connect to transfer data from my old 486 to the P266 a couple of years ago so that I could reformat the old one.

Has anyone tried Direct Connect with a Win XP and Win 95 computer? I think I read somewhere that Win XP won't play with older versions of Windows.

Kame
27-05-2003, 10:39 AM
I haven't tried it WinXP with DCC but I think it would depend on setting up network names because it's just like a network, although you don't have to use the MS DCC but alternatives that should work fine with any OS hopefully.

Iain Walmsley
27-05-2003, 11:22 AM
Many applications referred to it as connecting via a "null modem", because it worked the same way most people think of a modem working, but it wasnt actually classed as a modem because it didnt do any frequency modulation.

Iain