PDA

View Full Version : Installing Seagate Hard Disc

david.castle
26-05-2003, 08:47 AM
When one installs a Seagate Hard Disc using Seagate's DiscWizard, a Dynamic Disc Overlay (DDO) is installed on the disc. If one tries to remove this overlay using their Maintenace Options, one gets the message "it is not necessary to remove the overlay". I have no need for DDO as my BIOS recognises the whole disc.

Does anyone know how to remove the overlay?

If one installs the disc using FDisk and Windows Format, how does one migrate all the Windows files? If you use Seagate file copy, the first thing it does is installs the DDO.

It appears that wherever one uses DiscWizard, then DDO is installed immediately without giving you, the user, the option to not install it.

On a similar matter, when-ever I now use DiscWizard, I get the error "DWWIN.EXE casued an error" and DiscWizard closes; despite uninstalling and reinstalling DiscWizard. Anyone come across this before and know how to fix it? (DWWIN.EXE is one of DiscWizards files).

Thanks,
David

Steve Askew
26-05-2003, 11:15 AM
Quick search on google tells how to remove (http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/howto/use_dwse_maint.html) Dynamic Disc Overlay

Hope this helps

Steve.

david.castle
01-06-2003, 03:41 PM
Thanks, Steve, that reference was just what I needed.

I had tried two other versions of Seagate's DiskWizard; one did not work and the other wiped the disc clean. The third, the only you refereed me to did the job.

It does leave me wondering why the Windows version of DiskWizard loads the Disk Overlay by default; and without asking you if you want it.

david

Big John
01-06-2003, 08:36 PM
I never ever use any HD makers tools at all. Just install the drive and then partition/format to taste.