PDA

View Full Version : OT: Computer Confessions

csinclair83
25-05-2003, 10:33 PM
I'm just curious...

what things have u done wrong thats against the laws of computers...or ur own morals or someone elses
i know its probably gonna be abit hard saying some things considering...what if someone from microsoft decides to surf here

JohnD
25-05-2003, 10:44 PM
I'll tell you what one of the mail order shops did wrong - I asked for a PC with no OS and they said I couldn't have one unless I ordered it with a MS OS. Now, I think that is wrong!

Chilling_Silently
25-05-2003, 11:05 PM
Ive got Office 2K which isnt bought by myself.. only 97..

otherwise Im doing good I think..
Im using Win2K and Linux on my PC.. legal..
win98Se on my TV PC.. legal..
I still have a liscence for 95 somewhere... :p

I possess almost 540 MP3's... dunno if that's legal or not? I own CD's for some..

Music Video's are legal arent they? Just recorded off the telly?

Otherwise I think Im doing good...

*Just thought I might as well help with JohnD getting the ball rolling*

What about yourself Chris?

csinclair83
25-05-2003, 11:09 PM
i've got too many to list lol
half....ok most my games are off kazaa...
i download mp3s for friends

i also have a game i legally brought...but lost serial so went to some serial website and got it off there (i put a thread on here for 3 days b4 i went there..its called cricket 2002 installing)

i dont copy cds of mine and distribute..
i only download and use on my own computer...and yes when i reformat..the games go too..and mp3s..i only download nearly 10-20 a month and write onto cd and byebye and delete off my computer

segfault
25-05-2003, 11:15 PM
> I'll tell you what one of the mail order shops did
> wrong - I asked for a PC with no OS and they said I
> couldn't have one unless I ordered it with a MS OS.
> Now, I think that is wrong!

I tried doing this with The PC Company. I was looking at a laptop (Well, not from them but I thought I'd ask and see what they said) without windows on it. They said, yeah sure. But then they asked what OS I was going to use on it and if they could install that on it for me. I e-mailed them back and said that I was going to use Red Hat 9 but after that, they never got back to me.

I think one of the reasons they don't want to sell you a computer without an OS is because thats where some of their profit comes from. Just one of many reasons why I assemble my own computers.

Another problem is that they may get accused of promoting piracy by Microsoft. I know of a couple of countries in Asia where HP sells laptops with Linux on them. They have been accused of promoting piracy by doing this because Microsoft believe that people buy these laptops (cheaper than their alternatives with Windows I should add) and install pirated copies of Windows on them. I'm not disputing that it may happen, but why should it stop companies selling what they want to sell instead of what Microsoft wants them to sell?

robsonde
25-05-2003, 11:24 PM
at one point in my computing life I had 8Gb of data and the only orignal CD's I had where drivers for my hardware :-)

today I have a full copy of XP and own all the games I play.
the worst things i have is 1200 mp3s and a copy of office XP.

I don't feel bad about the office copy because i only use it once or twice a month and only for word or viewing XL stuff.

I don't feel too bad about the music because most of it is stuff I cant find in the shops.

I have been knowen to do a little bit of hacking on the side but never for fun only when I get payed for it :-)

PoWa
25-05-2003, 11:46 PM
rofl. :^O A thread for the software pirates... I wonder who would dare post their crimes on here!? You never know who reads these forums...plus there are a lot of anti-pircay fanatics that post here too. No doubt we'll here from a few of them!

Chill, I think having that many mp3s would be practically inviting the RIAA or whoever to come after you :) I also heard on the radio once that even recording stuff off the TV (like a movie) is an infringement on copyright. Apparently its ok to tape it and use it for watching it later, but after that you should wipe over the tape. Can't say I agree with all that though.

I believe that software, music etc. on the internet should be made free for students. Mainly because we don't have the money to buy everything. To be running all the stuff you need on a computer just to use it properly would cost way too much to do it all legally.

For example:

Fast computer: $2500
Fast Internet: $400 setup + monthly costs
Windows XP: $500
MS Office Software: $500
Norton Firewall: $150
Norton Antivirus: $100 + ongoing upgrade costs
Getright (damn essential prog): $30
Opera internet browser: $30 (unless you like ads or IE)
Computer games: $100ea
WinDvd: $30
Every piece of software you might need for using your computer: $30-$200
Dvd movies: $50ea
Cds that might only have 1 good song on them: $25ea

The costs of buying software and getting new software each year to run your computer would total a small fortune. Who actually has the money for this? Who actually wants to fork out money for it? Who actually uses their computer for one thing only and doesn't need lots of software? (If thats you, go sell your computer right now.)

Looking at the costs involved in using a computer, piracy looks pretty appealing to most people. Is there anyone not guilty of it? nuh ah.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
26-05-2003, 01:09 PM
> I'll tell you what one of the mail order shops did
> wrong - I asked for a PC with no OS and they said I
> couldn't have one unless I ordered it with a MS OS.
> Now, I think that is wrong!

You will actually find that they have no option. Most places selling OEM PC's etc have signed til death do us part agreements with Micro$oft whereby it is in breach of their sales agreement for licenced windows software to sell a PC without an M$ OS installed.

We had a similar problem where we ordered 18 machines for work, all of which were to have Linux and we could not get them without Win2K installed - the supplier was bound by an agreement.

So we bought 18 prebuilt cases without Hard Drives, and then purchased 18 hard drives from a separate dealer.

It's pretty unavoidable with M$'s deathlike grip on OEM's.

Kame
26-05-2003, 02:18 PM
Was arrested (got off by diversion) for Computer/Internet Fraud. Which is why I'm against a lot of security related means that are used to gain personal details/information now. It's my only way to me to correct the things I've done in the pass that hurt a lot of people, so now I offer my service to reduce the amount of this type of activity from continuing.

leshibbard
26-05-2003, 05:06 PM
Interesting thread.

Read somewhere that Microsoft's Bill Gates was refered to as "Mark of the Beast" in Revelation !!.

Can't buy a PC without MS installed, what about selling it cleaned out !.

Les3

Graham L
26-05-2003, 05:13 PM
Various people have bought the computers, refused to agree to the licence conditions, and recieved a refund from Microsoft. They had to push hard to get this, but it's possible. I think it's about US$100.

Billy T
26-05-2003, 05:54 PM
ROTFLMAO WTF :^O

What a clever idea! If the box doesn't have an HDD to carry an OS, MS has no traction. You can't license an OS to a box that can't run it!

I wonder if that would work for other suppliers, and what if you took in your licensed copy and asked for that to be installed instead of a new OEM.

:( They are bound to have a clause in the contract that stops the latter option, though some smaller assemblers probably wouldn't give a monkeys' and MS wouldn't be able to audit their hardware sales anyway.

Just goes to show, where there's a will there's a way, and it look legal too.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)