PDA

View Full Version : Video Capture Card "compatable motherboard"

Jesta
25-05-2003, 08:34 PM
I would like to install a Leadtek TV2000XP Deluxe TV/FM Tuner Video Capture Card But after reading
"For video capture you want to avoid motherboards with on-board graphics controllers (the Intel 810 series chipsets are particularly notorious and should be avoided). @
http://www6.tomshardware.com/video/20010801/video_capture-01.html
I'm not sure I can.
I have a ASUSTeK Model A7N8X-LA....NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Intergrated,
NVIDIA nForce Audio Codec Interface.
The article was written August 1, 2001,What I would like to know is have motherboards improved enough to allow this with my current board. ?:l

Chilling_Silently
25-05-2003, 09:59 PM
You should be okay, even if you cant disable your onboard in your PC's BIOS.. although you should definately check to see if you can do that, or set PCI/AGP graphics cards as primary.

I run a bit of an oldie when it comes to TV Tuner/Capture cards, with an OnBoard SiS for my graphics.. it simply ignores the onboard graphics.

Newer Tuner cards should be multiple monitor compatible, and may run alongside your current onboard.

If not, simply disable your onboard in Windows and you oughta be fine.

Go for it!

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

godfather
25-05-2003, 10:11 PM
I run a Lifeview Flyvideo 98 TV card, a few years old now.

Under an Intel 810 chipset, it would not use "overlay" mode, and with a 667 MHz PIII CPU, it maxed out at about 2/3 screen size. If overlay mode could have been used, then the CPU would not have been an issue.

In a 2 GHz P4 motherboard with 512 MB DDR RAM, it runs the CPU at 65% on full screen, using a GF MX460 Video card. Still not using overlay mode, as its obviously not supported by the GF MX460 card either.

Hopefully that will give an indication on what they mean by compatable.

Chilling_Silently
25-05-2003, 10:31 PM
Im sure my MX 440 SE-T works with Overlay?

metla
26-05-2003, 01:21 AM
Try this,its called the stormtest and released by canopus to test if your video card suports overlay,it also test the speed of your harddrive to determine if the are fast enough for capturing.

http://www.cosmoprint.com.au/metla/stormtest.exe

Chilling_Silently
26-05-2003, 11:59 AM
Thanks, That's an interesting utility :-)

Spacemannz
09-06-2003, 06:58 PM
Most video capture cards are crap. They crash too much. Get a USB webcam. Much easier, and better to use. Takes pics within windows. And use it to video conference.

Chilling_Silently
09-06-2003, 07:29 PM
Woah buddy, are you sure you're not talking about MS Windows there?

My Video Capture card has never 'crashed' on me, neither has ANY other hardware of mine!

Im not sure what you're on about there... Ive had a mouse that stops responding sometimes, and I ALWAYS have a hard time with anything but Win2K/XP getting webcam's to work (I have two).

For around $100, why not have a Vid Capture card and all its uses?

Spacemannz
09-06-2003, 08:27 PM
MOST of the BT chipsets for video capture devices crash lol....Well I guess theyve improved then lol. I used to have a video capture card but it was rubbish. I use a usb cam ... Works all the time!

Pheonix
09-06-2003, 08:41 PM
Bit hard watching TV on the cam isn't it? :D

Spacemannz
09-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Well, I wasn't planning on watching tv thru a webcam :P the TV is in the same room as this thing.

Spacemannz
09-06-2003, 09:09 PM
And this has DVD. So, why would I wanna a TV Tuner :P

Chilling_Silently
09-06-2003, 09:21 PM
I have a DVD player on my PC, and an nVidia GeForce 4 MX 440 SE-T w/TV-O!
I also have Music Vidz, MP3's, and a variety of other things you cant do.. I can run my N64 through it to :-)

My TV Tuner card is designed to run on a P133Mhz with Win 3.1, Win95 or WinNT 4!

It NEVER 'crashes' as such.. only ever had Windows do that :p