PDA

View Full Version : Updating Soft Ware/ O.S.

Joe_Bloggs
25-05-2003, 08:17 PM
I have a Compaq Pressario computer with Windows M.E. installed. I would like to upgrade to Windows XP.

Can I just install X.P. over the top of M.E. - or - would I be better to wipe the Hard Drive first. Also, is there an alternative to Windows X.P. which others can recommend. E.G: Linux

Thankyou for any information and advice, Joe

cyberchuck
25-05-2003, 08:28 PM
Hey
I've found Linux RedHat9 really good. Extremely easy to install (the GUI is probably the best I've seen on an installer. I prefer it to WinXP's for some reason...) One reboot is required and all the programs you selected are preinstalled for you, most (if not all) of your hardware is ready and it's great!
It's easy enough to use as well, however I find the login screen fustrating in the sense that you enter your username, click ok, get a new screen to enter your password and then click Ok again.
Once I learn more about it, I'm thinking of giving XP the boot off my machine and just running Linux - how far in the future that is depends on how much I can be bothered learning about linux and everything.
Another great asset about Linux (apart from the fact that it's free) is that it has free software to go with it! :D - practically, everything that you pay for there is a GPL version of it - namely with Microsoft products.
Also, if you ever get stuck, there are a few Linux guru's around here to help - also read the Faq on Linux. It's right at the end of the Faqs and is called something like "How to... In Linux"
One thing to keep in mind - if you do go Linux make sure you don't have a winmodem or something like that (Winmodem - Modem which only runs under Windows)

CyberChuck

tweak\'e
25-05-2003, 08:46 PM
i would be inclinded to make sure your hardware will be supported in other os's before you go changing.

segfault
25-05-2003, 08:53 PM
> Once I learn more about it, I'm thinking of giving XP
> the boot off my machine and just running Linux - how
> far in the future that is depends on how much I can
> be bothered learning about linux and everything.

Well, don't give up :) It took me a couple of months, but I'm running it full time now. I don't even have windows installed on this machine.

cyberchuck
25-05-2003, 08:59 PM
>> Once I learn more about it, I'm thinking of giving XP
>> the boot off my machine and just running Linux - how
>> far in the future that is depends on how much I can
>> be bothered learning about linux and everything.

>Well, don't give up :) It took me a couple of months, but I'm running it
> full time now. I don't even have windows installed on this machine.

I'ved vowed to get into it once midyears are over... Also vowed to do plenty of other things too... Although I'd say converting to Linux would be my highest priority as I'm currently on a 4mnth XP Trial... I should only have 1 month left and don't really want to be left out in the cold - also as I'm getting my network setup, it will be a good time to play with Samba and Linux's Networking setup...
BTW - what Distro are you running??

CyberChuck

segfault
25-05-2003, 11:00 PM
> BTW - what Distro are you running??

I'm running a variety of distributions - my desktop runs Linux from Scratch, my file server is running Slackware 9.0, my webserver runs Debian 3.0 and my firewall also runs Debian 3.0 (Although once I have got through hardening and securing it, it will look more like an OpenBSD machine ;-)). However, I'm in the process of converting my file server to Debian 3.0.

Chilling_Silently
25-05-2003, 11:10 PM
Yes, Im with the Redhat... but if you're wanting doze, then why are you wanting to upgrade to XP (Not being negative, just wanting to know why.. im a bit of a curious george ;-))?

A clean install would be more reliable, increased stability...
an Upgrade would be cheaper if you're buying a liscence.. you keep your data on your HDD (A backup would fix that for a format though).

I would recommend you try formatting, and if you're interested in Linux, see about getting a copy of Knoppix.. should you like it.. Dual Boot when you go to do the format, Id say XP with RedHat 9 is a good mix!

Segfault/CyberChuck>
Im thinking of going Cold Turkey once I get ICQ to use my Remote Contact list, and as soon as I can enable DMA on my DVD drive I should be fine with the help of WineX 2 and 3 :-)

Might want to make a miniature Win2K partition though.. just in case ;-)

*blushes*

Cheers

Chill.