PDA

View Full Version : Packard Bell Software

oscar91
25-05-2003, 07:45 PM
I'm wanting to know if there is any way of getting, the preinstalled software on my computer when i bought the system, on to cds, so i can istall some of them on another computer i own. I Would like to get the windows 2000 setup files, they are hidden in cab files on a hidden part of my hard drive. I didn't get any program cds when i bought the system.
My computers a imedia A1000NW.

thanks for ypur help
cheers

whiskeytangofoxtrot
25-05-2003, 07:58 PM
You should have a packard bell recovery cd set whih has all the installed applications in it.

Incidentally you are asking for help with priacy which we don't deal with here.

K Thx Bye

cyberchuck
25-05-2003, 07:59 PM
Hey
You could use a program like Norton Ghost to make an image of your current hard drive, and then "Ghost" it onto your secondary machine?
The Windows Install Files may be in a Cabs Folder - most likely something like C:\WINNT\Options\Cabs or something along the lines of that.
You may want to be careful about doing something like that unless you are installing a new OS on your Packard Bell Machine. Have a look through the Setup/Install EULA(s) and make sure it's ok.

CyberChuck

Susan B
25-05-2003, 08:07 PM
Sorry, but it is not legal to install the same copy of Windows or other software onto a second computer like you are wishing to do. The Windows that you have on your Packard Bell computer is likely to be an OEM version and those installations are not permitted to be transferred onto another computer, even if the original computer is "retired".

Joe_Bloggs
25-05-2003, 08:23 PM
Hello There,

I have the same situation with my Compaq. The O.S. is preinstalled on a hidden partion.

Basically, it is a waste of time trying to install pre-installed softwar on another computer, as I am told that everything else (soundcards, modem) will have to be the same on both computers for it to work

I think as others have said, it is illegle - and a ghost copy WILL be illegle as well

You are better of getting a secondhand copy, with license, from Trademe or similar.

Joe

Graham L
26-05-2003, 05:24 PM
But what about the grandfather's axe argument. Three new heads and four new handles, but it's still grandfather's axe. :D

mikebartnz
27-05-2003, 12:40 AM
I like that Graham L.

kiwibeat
27-05-2003, 09:30 AM
you will need a installation cd
a image of your present drive will only work on a exact duplicate of your packard bell PC.I can help you if you are in wgtn