PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express

Janet
25-05-2003, 05:02 PM
Have XP .My outlook express is not responding...have the latest critical updates.. cannot send or receive in Outlook

Muzzer
25-05-2003, 05:12 PM
Hi Janet

Do you have a firewall or anti virus softawre?

Have you checked your account settings under Tools> Accounts> Mail tab?

Cheers Murray P

Jim B
25-05-2003, 05:16 PM
Also open Internet Explorer and advise if websites are loading.

Janet
25-05-2003, 05:29 PM
On same computer but under another user name Outlook Express is working.... my Internet explorer and everything else is working ...when I go to Outlook express I cant click on to anything ...just have to end task

Janet
25-05-2003, 05:31 PM
Websites are all loading :-)

Muzzer
25-05-2003, 05:38 PM
Sorry, beyond me Janet.

Have had a similar probelm with Outlook lately that i have been unable to resolve so have gone back to OE. It sounds like you have a conflict of some sort with permissions in XP or some such. Hang in there someone will know :)

Cheers Murray P

PS. You could try saving your address book, inbox, etc, and reinstall or repair in Control Panel> Add/Remove programs. But as above hang around to see what others have.

Jim B
25-05-2003, 05:39 PM
Try shutting your computer completely down for about 1min and restart and try again.

Janet
25-05-2003, 05:57 PM
Thanks you guys...Jim I did shut down and nothing is different

stu140103
25-05-2003, 06:23 PM
Do a repair that should help

Note: you might want to backup all your e-mail address book etc... Before you do it just in case.

Hope this helps

whiskeytangofoxtrot
25-05-2003, 08:00 PM
What version of windows?

Susan B
25-05-2003, 11:30 PM
> What version of windows?

>> Have XP

Just wondering if that particular account has been corrupted. You could try deleting it and re-adding it again. Make sure you write down the settings before you start so that you can re-enter them as before.

godfather
25-05-2003, 11:32 PM
Remember that deleting an account under Windows XP can result in the loss of all data stored under that account (Windows and Settings) login.

Janet
26-05-2003, 11:34 AM
Thanks Stu ....but how do I repair can someone explain step by step as I am so new to this......and will try that .....It is windowS XP and have Outlook Express

Janet
26-05-2003, 11:55 AM
have XP outlook express.....I go to My comp/local c disk/program files and outlook express and find its the msimn .....part which is not working all other parts of outlook are working???

Susan B
26-05-2003, 04:49 PM
> Remember that deleting an account under Windows XP can result in the loss of all data stored under that account (Windows and Settings) login.

Thanks for that Godfather. I actually meant the Outlook Express Mail account rather than the Win XP User account and I should have made my meaning much clearer.

If you want to try that Janet, in OE go to Tools>Accounts>click on your account>Properties and write down the settings under each tab. When done click Cancel then with your account highlighted click Remove.

To add the account back again click Add>Mail and follow the wizard, re-entering the details that you wrote down.

Janet
29-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Susan thankyou when i go into outlook express I cannot click onto anything.....is there another way to go about this...because i cannot find my setting do u understand ....thankyou

Muzzer
29-05-2003, 07:22 PM
Hi Janet

Try a repair of IE which should check OE for you.

Please excuse me have Win2K not XP so some of the terms may be a little different. Go to your control panel (Start> Settings>Control Panel) open up the Add/Remove Programs application and find your listing for Internet Explorer highlight it and make sure the Change or Remove icon is selected in the left pane. Click the Change/Remove button on the highlighted IE program list. It should ask you what you want to do with an option there for Repair click it and follow any instructions. If that option is not there click NO or Cancel, don't proceed. Just x your way out of Control Panel (its not on mine but have had it previously).

If the option to repair is not there post back. If the program is locked as you state a diff approach may need to be taken. One may be to roll back to the previous version (add/remove programs again) but would like further input, from anybody, before you do.

Before attempting any of the above do as susan B suggests and write down your IE settings, passwords, etc. If worst comes to worst we can talk you through setting up your email accounts, etc, again,

Cheers Murray P

Susan B
30-05-2003, 12:44 AM
In my Win XP I cannot find an option to repair Outlook Express or Internet Explorer so you may be unlucky in that respect. All I can think of is a reinstall of Windows.

Muzzer
30-05-2003, 01:06 AM
Hi Susan & Janet

I think mine has gone in Win2k since installing SP4 or poss 1 of the IE patches. A pity because it worked sometimes. I would suggest trying to uninstall before reinstalling windows, it will just roll IE & OE back to a previous version. Hopefully that will fix whatever the problem is. Could be one of those self installing MS updates. Worth a try IMHO the windows over the top if that doesn't work.

Cheers Murray P

Peter Cox
30-05-2003, 06:25 PM
Hi Janet, there is an article on the MS knowledgebase (274017) that describes the symptoms you report.
To paraphrase the article - If you attempt to "switch identities", olexp sets a marker in the registry to indicate that it is in the process of CHANGING. If the change succeeds it resets the marker on completion but if the change fails it forgets to reset the marker and subsequent loads find it set and lockup olexp. This marker is set up under the current user so will not effect other users of olexp.
The fix for this is a registry edit as follows:-
1. Quit all programs.
2. Click Start, and then click Run.
3. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK to start Registry Editor.
4. Locate the following registry subkey:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities

5. In the left pane, click the Identities subkey.
6. In the right pane, locate the Changing value, and then click to select it.
7. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
8. Quit Registry Editor.

After you perform these steps, Outlook Express should open to the last identity that was used.

These steps were pasted directly from the MS article wich can be found at

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=274017.

The first 5 steps above will confirm if this is your problem or not.
If the word CHANGING is not present then this is not your problem, if it is present and equal to 0 (zero)then this is your problem and the last steps are required.

Remember all the warnings you have ever seen about editing registry!!!

Hope this helps, PC

camcamnz
01-06-2003, 03:52 PM
Hello All,
I Am Also Having The Same Problem, And There Is No such registry key, i also have all the latest updates installed, have tried a reinstall of internet explorer, which hasn't fixed the problem, however, the last e-mail i received had a trojan on it, but AVG picked it up and deleted it, so i am wondering if perhaps the trojan got past AVG or weather it is something completely un related

Very confused

Thanks all

kirrie kiwi
02-06-2003, 09:41 AM
try uninstalling the latest patches sent by os, you can always get them again.
Kirrie Kiwi