PDA

View Full Version : McAfee Virusscan issues w/ an email virus.

nomad
25-05-2003, 04:26 PM
hiya,

I have received an email called "screensaver" from support@microsoft.com

i know this is a virus. i have gone to Symantec and downloaded "FixSobigB.exe" it has failed to locate the virus.

Rite now I am downloading a superdat file for my McAfee 6. I tried to use the update procedure. What happened was, it downloaded 12MB (mouse over dial up networking indicator) then it rebooted. I checked the McAfee and the dat file was still 2001. Then I chose it again and downloaded 5MB and it asked to be rebooted. Still after this, it is not updated.

So, how can I get those updates?? Semms the superdat file is downloaded on web, everything else needs this updater - the version update, the scan engine etc...

Secondly, how do I get rid of this virus email?? I presume this superdat file will work.

Nomad.

-=JM=-
25-05-2003, 05:20 PM
If the virus fixer from symantec didn't find it it's probably a good sign. You're not infected :D

nomad
25-05-2003, 05:29 PM
funny thing, Symantec found nothing.
I updated McAfee with the superdat web download and it was updated correctly. As its integrated wif outlook, that email was quarantied. (huh??).

anyway, anyone know how to get McAfee Update to work correctly?? Maybe its some server issues?

Thanks,
N.

godfather
25-05-2003, 09:14 PM
McAfee AV is presently on definition file 4266.
Assuming you are on 4.0.3 or higher AV version.

I manually update, by going to this (http://download.mcafee.com/updates/4xa.asp?real=0) site and click on Download, then Save. When the download has completed I Open the file, and it updates the program. Then I reboot.

The 4266 definition is 1.96 MB in size, downloads in 2 minutes (Jetstart)

Billy T
25-05-2003, 09:45 PM
Hi Nomad

Just for clarification, receiving the virus infected email into your inbox does not usually cause an infection. Only opening or previewing the content (much the same thing really) will do that.

So, if you didn't open it, even if it is still in your inbox it is harmless. Obviously it is preferable to delete it, but either way you are safe from infection. I receive very few virii and most that try to come my way are stopped by Xtra but Ii do operate other ISPs accounts and the occasional virus does get to my inbox. However, I have never yet (X fingers) had an infection.

Keep your virus defs up to date, surf reasonably safely, and you should be the same.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Cheers

nomad
26-05-2003, 12:39 PM
definitions: 4.0.4266, 21 May 2003

McAfee VS 6.00.1076
Scan engine: 4.2.30

I may try the update utility later on.

nomad
26-05-2003, 12:40 PM
the email was cleaned/deleted with the superdat file i downloaded.

N.

Babe Ruth
26-05-2003, 09:28 PM
Nomad,

Just as a matter of interest your DAT file update is fine however your Scan engine should be v4.2.40 and your McAfee version should be v6.02.3000 (or higher) The engine update is available from the same place as the Dat updates ( I use McAfee DAT Updates (http://www.mcafeeb2b.com/naicommon/download/dats/find.asp) ) and the product update is available from McAfee Product Updates (https://secure.nai.com/forms/upgrades/login.asp).

Cheers, Babe.