PDA

View Full Version : Solid state power

Ron Bakker
25-05-2003, 03:40 PM
Why can't we use solid state power supplys for our pc's . E.g a teriodal transfoormer with a good voltage regulator. Yes it would be a bit bigger than the electronic version, but silent.
I would be quite happy having an external transfomer that had no sound.

Graham L
25-05-2003, 04:30 PM
I take it you mean "linear" power supplies, rather than the switch mode supplies which are univerally used. They are all "solid state" and 'electronic". (I haven't seen valves in power supplies for a while --- except in transformers. I've got a VR98 on the wall --- 60 KV, 1A).

I am sure you could get a linear supply, but there are two serious drawbacks: cost and weight. Have a feel of the weight of a 200-500 VA transfomer. Look at the price tag.

A third problem --- much lower efficiency --- might make the "sound" problem worse ... linear supplies need more cooling.

Sorry, there has been some progress. :D

Billy T
26-05-2003, 11:36 AM
The only sound is the cooling fan Ron, and you could either buy a low noise jobby or remove it, install it remotely and duct the air flow to your computer. I remember seeing a website some time ago offering conversions to silence PCs but didn't bookmark it.:(

I installed an ancient Compaq PSU in Old Faithfull when the original supply failed. It has a huge fan with sculpted, aerodynamically shaped blades and is virtually silent. All I hear are the two HDDs.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)